Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First 18" cook... Eat your veggies  (Read 1215 times)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
First 18" cook... Eat your veggies
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »
Dinner for two at my sons Little League Baseball game. I arrived early to set up the grill and fire it up.
Wife and I were eating before the first pitch was thrown. We had grilled scallops, shrimp, and some grilled veggies. It was a Nice meal for two and the kids ate hotdogs. Our kids just don't like anything grilled. Maybe it's the cooks fault.

After this meal, wife approved that this little 18" Weber will be coming along to all our outdoor journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: First 18" cook... Eat your veggies
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
You gotta teach them kids of yours... Dang that looks goooooood!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
I've been working on it. They are ages 10 & 5 and just think grill marks mean it's burned and not eatable.
So I have to cook golden brown non-grill marked hot dogs for them. Cut off all the grill marks on chicken breast to serve them pure white meat. Spoiled kids are challenging to grill for. 

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »
 Have you tried letting them grill with you?  Sometimes that does the trick.

But if not, don't despair.  Just keep offering them grilled food. They will eventually eat it. I have a 17 year old who always would eat anything and a 14 year old who doesn't. But I do ask her to try - as I often remind her, you had to try ice cream the first time to learn you like it.

Oh- do they like toasted marshmallows?  That could be your gateway...if they become "grilled marshmallows". :). Never be above a little treacherous rebranding. ;)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:44:09 AM »
Have you tried letting them grill with you?  Sometimes that does the trick.

But if not, don't despair.  Just keep offering them grilled food. They will eventually eat it. I have a 17 year old who always would eat anything and a 14 year old who doesn't. But I do ask her to try - as I often remind her, you had to try ice cream the first time to learn you like it.

Oh- do they like toasted marshmallows?  That could be your gateway...if they become "grilled marshmallows". :). Never be above a little treacherous rebranding. ;)

I like the way you think. I have some grand kids that are soooo fussy. Got a few of them turned around to eating what they would not before...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 04:26:56 AM »
I've read numerous times from different sources that for some kids (and adults) you need to present a new food between 10-30 times -depending on the source- before it becomes accepted. True? Who knows. I do know that your tastebuds change and evolve over time. As a child I adored Spaghettios...now I can use them to induce vomiting. Lol.

We've used a lot of "rebranding", a trick I often advise for other moms. Kid won't eat anything but chicken?  Then offer them your new varietal of Angus Chicken (beef) and River Chicken (fish). My kids tended to want to eat things off my plate. I could have won the academy award for Best Actress at dinner..."well, this is my absolute favorite and I really don't want to share but this ONE TIME I will let you have a tiny little bite but don't ask me for any more because that's it!!!" And they would eat the whole damn thing. :)

Now older and considerably harder to fool we have the "just suck it up and taste it" rule. This is mainly for my 14 year old. I grilled chicken the other night for dinner that I basted with a garlic scape and basil pesto. She didn't want the "green stuff" so we initiated the "suck it up and just taste it" rule with me adding "you like caprese salad...which has basil. You like garlic and Parmesan. I think you'll like this". Much eye rolling and under breath muttering ensued. I made about 2 c of pesto and had a good 1/2 to 3/4 c left. I say "had" because She Who Doesn't Like Green Chicken proceeded to make herself the same thing for both lunch and dinner yesterday...with extra pesto on the side.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 05:03:31 AM »
I've read numerous times from different sources that for some kids (and adults) you need to present a new food between 10-30 times -depending on the source- before it becomes accepted. True? Who knows. I do know that your tastebuds change and evolve over time. As a child I adored Spaghettios...now I can use them to induce vomiting. Lol.

We've used a lot of "rebranding", a trick I often advise for other moms. Kid won't eat anything but chicken?  Then offer them your new varietal of Angus Chicken (beef) and River Chicken (fish). My kids tended to want to eat things off my plate. I could have won the academy award for Best Actress at dinner..."well, this is my absolute favorite and I really don't want to share but this ONE TIME I will let you have a tiny little bite but don't ask me for any more because that's it!!!" And they would eat the whole damn thing. :)

Now older and considerably harder to fool we have the "just suck it up and taste it" rule. This is mainly for my 14 year old. I grilled chicken the other night for dinner that I basted with a garlic scape and basil pesto. She didn't want the "green stuff" so we initiated the "suck it up and just taste it" rule with me adding "you like caprese salad...which has basil. You like garlic and Parmesan. I think you'll like this". Much eye rolling and under breath muttering ensued. I made about 2 c of pesto and had a good 1/2 to 3/4 c left. I say "had" because She Who Doesn't Like Green Chicken proceeded to make herself the same thing for both lunch and dinner yesterday...with extra pesto on the side.

;D Been there, done that! I still get the "What kinda chicken we having tonite Pop-Pop?" Love it.

Yeah, taste buds develop over time. Some of the crap I ate as a kid, I can't even look at now. And Spaghettios was one of them. The rule at our table is the same, "You have to taste it." My wife and I between us have 16 grand kids. It's a challenge at times.  :)