Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Petrol flavored Kingsford  (Read 1016 times)

Biff

• Happy Cooker
Petrol flavored Kingsford
« on: June 11, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
I bought and older OTG to learn how to cook on a 22". The other day I fired up the SJG to sear a steak, and my neighbor complained about a horrible smell. I figured it was the paper used to start my chimney, and dismissed it as a one of. Well yesterday after cleaning the OTG, I fired up a full chimney of Kingsford original briquettes. Waited till white and dumped on one side. Cooked my chicken quarters for 40 minutes indirectly and then finished the last 20 over direct head and kept covered. My entire cook and food had a petroleum flavor that came from the Kingsford's. I will experiment somemore before giving up.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or do I just need to get a gasser :^(

Is Kingsford now importing this crap from China? What the hell.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Petrol flavored Kingsford
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
There are many types of charcoal and brands as well. Experiment with other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I have always used kingsford and I've never had any petrol flavors that I can tell.  I have also used ro lump and briq and generic grocery store brands. All get hot and all cook decent. Maybe you had a little old lighter fluid residue in your grills

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »
I have also been using Kingsford for years and years without that happening.  I usually stock up (400 lbs.) once a year when it goes on sale.

I do know that a number of members here seem to be more sensitive and, as a result, do not use KBB.  So, I also think trying a few other brands (i.e., Royal Oak, Stubbs, etc.) or maybe shifting to lump.

Find what works for you and your family.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:03 AM »
Weird. I don't use KBB, I'm an RO guy. Dunno bro, butt never experienced that flavor. Hmmmmm...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.