Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Exclusive lump users  (Read 3441 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Exclusive lump users
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 06:37:50 AM »
I agree with you HoosierKettle. RO briquettes burn HOT! I had to use gloves to grab the lid. I think Lump is overrated. Low ash is the best thing it has going for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »
I might just have to try it. Maybe in my WSM. Do you think I can get 14 hours out of a full load like I can with KBB in my 22?

I don't know is the short answer. I used it the first time for a 4.5 hour cook in the wsm. I filled the ring half full and still had half of that left when finished.

As far as kbb in the wsm, I am not impressed. It cooks fine but I never could co longer than 4-5 hours with out having to stir the coals to shake out the ashes to maintain air flow.  Is that just me having that problem?  I need to test the lump out on a long cook to know but from my short test I think I will like it. I also put another grate cross wise so the small pieces were being utilized and not dropping through. After my relatively short cook, there were no appreciable signs of ash build up clogging air flow which I was pleased about.

Also, this was in a 18 wsm

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Never tried lump in my WSM 18 or 22 just kbb. Never had a issue with airflow . Longest cook on my 18 was 11 hours on a brisket and had a good bit of coals leftover. Curious to try lump , but heard it burns hotter and harder to maintain low temp in the WSM.

Burns hotter is all I hear about lump but those are lies lies and more lies [emoji23]

Kbb burns just as hot, if not hotter, than lump in my pizzaque.

For low and slow in the wsm, I do not have any trouble at all maintaining a consistent temperature. I usually run 245ish in the wsm and my vent settings are the same whether I use lump or kbb. All I've done is 4-5 hour cooks with the lump so far so I don't know if I'll have to refuel sooner with lump yet.

For normal direct and indirect cooks in the kettle, the lump performs close to the same as kbb with the only difference being you need a cross wise grate to utilize small pieces. I give the edge to briqs for convenience on the kettle but lump starts a lot faster and produces less ash so almost balances out. Snake cooks obviously are better with briqs.

Bottom line, don't believe all of the lump and briquette mythology until you try it yourself.

Well, lump DOES burn hotter... it is real wood. Gotta watch your vents. Plus, as I stated earlier, it has to be sorted. Don't just pour it in.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
Yes it does burn hotter in a chimney. As soon as it's put to use in a kettle and start cooking, I don't see any appreciable higher temps. That's with all vents open and lid on with meat on the grates.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »
This lump thing in a WSM got me curious. Just picked up a bag of B&B oak lump. Firing up the WSM 18 with it.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
Using B&B lump now. Hard to compare the difference in temp because I'm doing a chicken and using dry water pan. Got my vents adjusted like I would a low and slow and with water and it's 325 degrees.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »
Seen several people talking about the small chips of lump & how to deal......

Just a suggestion.....I save them aside (stored in those plastic Folger's canisters) & sprinkle over briqs for "burn insurance" on chains / snakes....

A few pieces fall thru, but if you add it last, most of it stays on top or imbedded in the pile.... 8)

If you want to test out a lump that ends the story...try Wicked Good.....expensive, but dang, it is Wicked Good......burns forever , real clean, little ash & doesn't snuff out after it's going like a lot of others will....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"