Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Leftover briquettes  (Read 1368 times)

Frales

• Smokey Joe
Leftover briquettes
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
How do you guys or gals use your leftover briquettes?
I use a stainless strainer for a charcoal basket and just shake it to get the ashes to fall through and dump more on top. I've thought about dumping them back into the chimney starter but they seem fragile and would think they would fall apart. My problem is when I have a lot leftover from a short cook I really don't need to add a lot more.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Leftover briquettes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
How do you guys or gals use your leftover briquettes?
I use a stainless strainer for a charcoal basket and just shake it to get the ashes to fall through and dump more on top. I've thought about dumping them back into the chimney starter but they seem fragile and would think they would fall apart. My problem is when I have a lot leftover from a short cook I really don't need to add a lot more.
yup. sure do. I usually put a layer of fresh coals at the bottom of my chimney and fill the top with what's left of my previous cook if there's any left

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »

Frales

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
Thanks I'll try that!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
I usually leave them in the basket, shake it to remove the ash then dump the lit coals on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Leftover briquettes
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 02:27:05 AM »
99% of the time I do this and it works great for me. Works best with baskets.
As soon as the cooking grate is clear of food I grab the charcoal baskets and give it a good shake and then dump the coals in the Smokey Joe Premium with the vents closed and seal it up with the lid holder bail.
Few mins later and they are stone cold.
Then next time: new coals in the rapid fire starter and used on top of new.
I do it this way for years and save a ton on charcoal because I fire up my Weber 8 out of 10 days.

I save on charcoal but I buy it like a doomsday preper? Still have 300lbs in the garage. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 03:12:22 AM »
If i have leftivers...dump them in bottom of the chimeny or the wsm
Grills

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 05:56:31 AM »
I usually leave them in the basket, shake it to remove the ash then dump the lit coals on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here