Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Gold B Lid in need of....  (Read 3841 times)

vader06

• WKC Ranger
Genesis Gold B Lid in need of....
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
I have a Genesis Gold B from 2004.  I am in need of a top lid for the grill.  The inside aluminum is cracking.  No it is not creosote.  I was cleaning the grill and found the crack which will get worse.    I called Weber and they told me it has a 25 year warranty but they not longer carry the part anymore for a 13 year old grill?  25 year warranty=13 year old grill no parts?  Anyway I understand.  They do have a replacement lid but it is not Stainless which irritates me.  So I am on the look out for a grill from that time period with the lid that is in good shape.   
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Genesis Gold B Lid in need of....
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »
I have a Genesis Gold B from 2004.  I am in need of a top lid for the grill.  The inside aluminum is cracking.  No it is not creosote.  I was cleaning the grill and found the crack which will get worse.    I called Weber and they told me it has a 25 year warranty but they not longer carry the part anymore for a 13 year old grill?  25 year warranty=13 year old grill no parts?  Anyway I understand.  They do have a replacement lid but it is not Stainless which irritates me.  So I am on the look out for a grill from that time period with the lid that is in good shape.   

The only aluminum in the lid that I'm aware of are the cast aluminum side caps.   A Gold lid has an interior liner in the hood that is made of stamped steel.  FWIW, it doesn't really hurt anything if it's starting to corrode.

I'm kind of surprised that Weber doesn't have a replacement though.   Call back and talk to a different CSR and see if you get the same answer.   

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »
I was going to call them back again tomorrow.  The CSR person was not real helpful and was not too friendly.  I usually have had a good experiences with Weber Customer service.  I was not sure if that was aluminum or steel in the inside layer of the lid.  Thanks for the info.  I rather keep the SS.  I love this grill so much because of the a SS.  They do not make them like this anymore. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:32:30 AM by vader06 »
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »
I just got a black replacement two weeks ago and so did my friend last week. We both had the interior rusting away around the edges. I think the main reason you can't get SS is that design has proved inferior since it's a two piece vs the one piece porcelain.

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
I called Weber again and they are sending me a replacement black mica lid.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 02:30:54 AM »
could you post a pic?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
Yep here are some pics.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
I got my new lid today and put it on.  I miss the Stainless already but it still looks nice. I did take the old Weber Badge and put it on the new lid.  I did not like the new badge. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:30:04 PM »
@vader06 I don't know about gassers and don't search for them but this is in my area. Maybe a good deal for backup and parts?

https://offerup.com/item/detail/271697722

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
Fwiw, same thing is happening to my SMS lid but I'm really not concerned about it at this point.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »

@vader06 I don't know about gassers and don't search for them but this is in my area. Maybe a good deal for backup and parts?

https://offerup.com/item/detail/271697722

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is another one an hour away from me sale for the same price but I just decided on a new lid for free.  A couple months ago there was one for sale near me for $20 and it was just like mine.  I thought about calling on it and I did not.  I remember the ad saying the burners no longer worked and that was the only reason the guy was selling it.  I will keep my eyes open for another in my area.  I live in Grand Rapids MI.   I am content for now. When I took the old
lid a part I found more cracks too.