Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib cook using lump  (Read 888 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Rib cook using lump
« on: May 22, 2017, 06:41:37 AM »
Got two racks of .99lb spare ribs. Decided to use RO lump for this cook.  It was on sale for $7.88 a bag so I thought why the hell not.  When I had my Large Big Green Egg ceramic cooker that is all I used and it worked fine.  Used my Cajun Bandit Stacker and lit the fire with just one lighter cube.  It lit fast with very little smoke.  Temp control was very steady and responsive to small adjustments.  Total cook time was five hours with temps ranging from 250 to 275.  Most of the time the sweet spot seemed to be 260/262.  Ribs turned out great.  One of my better efforts.  Sorry no finishing/plating pics.  We were hungry and scarfed them down.  Once the fire was out I checked for fuel usage.  I had a lot of fuel left and probably could of cooked a pork butt.  I know there is a lot of debate saying that lump is not suitable for long cooks.  It passed with flying colors on this cook.  Lights fast with little smoke, and leaves very little ash.  I will be using it more often.

Started using one lighter cube.

Three hours in the cook just before wrapping.

Temp locked in.

Fuel left over from a five hour cook.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:20:30 AM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rib cook using lump
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »
Great reporting there Dave.....260 is my favorite pivot point for a lot of different types of cooks.....works very well for ribs........ ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Rib cook using lump
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »
Looks awesome, love that stacker!  I was looking on their site. Does the stacker have a water bowl and a place for a lower level grate?  Really thinking about dumping the wsm and going that route.

I like the wsm, but I like the idea of using a kettle instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:24:17 AM »
@HoosierKettle

It does have a lower rack.  In the kit you get a heat diffuser which is a 17'' pizza pan.  No water bowl but if you like you can put a pan of water on top of the heat diffuser.  I like the set up because I can use the whole grate from front to back and side to side.  I comes with a charcoal ring.  If you do get one be sure to order the diffuser with it.  I even installed a probe grommet.

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »
I prefer to use lump for long cooks...
The Bandit setup looks like a great deal...
And the ribs look great...