Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Propane assist for folks that don't have (or want) a Performer  (Read 1728 times)

Cellar2ful

Sometime in the last year, I read that a WKC member utilized a propane torch to light his chimney. Whoever it was, thank you.  I finally got around to trying this method.  Wow.  Lighting time using the torch was approximately 1 minute or less.  The briquettes were fully ashed and ready to use in 12 - 13 minutes. Really fast and easy. I used KB Competition tonight, but have used this method 4 or 5 times now with standard KB with the same results. Much faster lighting than lighting with newspaper and virtually no smoke. 

With tin snips, I cut and removed one tab on the lower part of the chimney. 

This allows for the torch to be inserted into the chimney.

Once I see a small bit of smoke, I rotate and move the torch so the flame ignites several areas. After roughly 1 minute, I extinguish the torch and place the chimney on an old beater SJ. I find this helps speed the lighting as it protects the chimney from the wind and reflects additional heat into the chimney. After 9 minutes, I shake the chimney just like you flip pancakes in a pan. It redistributes the briquettes and speeds the lighting even more.

These are the briquettes after 12-13 minutes in the chimney tonight.

The ribeye cap steaks were amazing BTW.

@Thrillho - You might try this method as it be another way to cut back on the smoke your neighbor was complaining about.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:37:51 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bigpun123

• Smokey Joe
Re: Propane assist for folks that don't have (or want) a Performer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, got to give this a try.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »
How fast is this compared to a lighter cube? Ill have to give this a shot.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:51:46 AM »

I have never tried the lighter cubes so I can't give you an answer.  I was amazed at how little time it took to ignite the briquettes with the propane torch.  I think the difference is in the intense flame of the propane torch vs the wider, gentler flame produced by the Performer burner.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:06:19 AM »
Very nice. Don't try the lighter cubes. They work so damn good that you are forced to continue buying them. Never used anything but newspaper for 20 years. Then got gas assist performer, then tried lighter cubes. Lighter cube is my favorite method. Light it, walk inside and prep food. I thought I would prefer the gas assist but I find myself worried about trying to turn it off as soon as the chimney gets going or I worry about forgetting and burning up too much coal.  So the convenience becomes a stressful game of timing [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
The Harbor Freight weed burner makes quick work of lighting charcoal.

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

I have the one without the piezo starter cuz I like using the striker. Wearing gloves is a must when starting a chimney this way but not necessary when firing up the WSM, which is the best use of the torch, imo.

I like using the cubes, too. They can be cut in half and still get the job done.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 01:24:50 AM »
Very nice. Don't try the lighter cubes. They work so damn good that you are forced to continue buying them. Never used anything but newspaper for 20 years. Then got gas assist performer, then tried lighter cubes. Lighter cube is my favorite method. Light it, walk inside and prep food. I thought I would prefer the gas assist but I find myself worried about trying to turn it off as soon as the chimney gets going or I worry about forgetting and burning up too much coal.  So the convenience becomes a stressful game of timing

This for me as well.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 01:36:28 AM »
Very nice. Don't try the lighter cubes. They work so damn good that you are forced to continue buying them. Never used anything but newspaper for 20 years. Then got gas assist performer, then tried lighter cubes. Lighter cube is my favorite method. Light it, walk inside and prep food. I thought I would prefer the gas assist but I find myself worried about trying to turn it off as soon as the chimney gets going or I worry about forgetting and burning up too much coal.  So the convenience becomes a stressful game of timing [emoji23]

Trust me I know already. Those little cubes are definitely worth it. They really are a "fire and forget" lighter. I was just curious which one was faster, propane torch or cube.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ