Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tried Probe Thermometer-----Ruined Steak  (Read 1864 times)

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
Tried Probe Thermometer-----Ruined Steak
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:39:50 AM »

Hoping for success with that Porterhouse Steak I've been waiting to grill on my new Q1200, so I seared it for 1 minute on each side at 450, producing nice grill marks, then probed it, which indicated under 100 degrees.

I was shooting for 125 degrees, recommended by most of you for a medium-rare doneness.

So I gave it 2 more minutes on each side, then probed it...it read 145-150 degrees, which was way beyond the 125 I wanted!

The NY Strip side showed no pinkness at all, and was tough to cut and chew, so that portion was ruined.  The Filet side
showed a little pink, was easier to cut and chew, and was good!

It looks like I'll have to be careful not to overshoot 125 degrees next time, huh?

Damn, I wanted to eat that whole Porterhouse which I've been saving for 2 weeks! At least I enjoyed the Grillin' Beans!

HiDesertHal
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:38:51 AM by HiDesertHal »

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: Tried Probe Thermometer-----Ruined Steak
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »
Man, that is tough to read.  Sorry for your woes.
I've done the same thing.  spot on on one side, burnt on the other.
I try to avoid cooking Porterhouse (or T bones) any more because of that.   I recently got a sous vide machine, so I'll have my Porterhouse to perfection again soon!!!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:27:37 AM »
Agree porterhouse isn't my preferred cut. Remember too that the temp will rise when you pull it off the grill while it's resting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
Just takes practice or there's always the steakhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »

Hey HoosierKettle,

Yes, we go to "Steer & Stein", our favorite steakhouse, nearly every Thursday evening.

My wife orders the Bacon-Wrapped Tri-Tip and I order a Seafood plate or the Country Fried steak, which is tender.

All their other steaks, including the Ribeye, are too tough for me.

That's it.....
HiDesertHal

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
Sounds like you are on your way.  It takes a bit of practice, but you'll get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
@HiDesertHal

Grab another steak and try it again. If you can find a "cold spot" on the grate put the strip on that spot directly after searing your grill marks. You'll cook with the same heat and modify your timing.

Thats a big advantage the charcoal grill has over a single burner gasser, you can make a safe zone or multi-heat areas with charcoal just by moving the coals around.

To find a cold/hot spot wave your hand around over the completely pre-heated, lit grill. If you can see the flame try to find a area where the flame is smaller than the rest. You can do this while your not cooking anything and itll get you more familiar with how your grill works, how hot it can get, where the hotest areas are. It dont hurt shut it down and see how well it holds heat and for how long...just to develop a working relationship with your grill.

If your handy and like to modify your junk....you can make a cold spot. By covering some of the holes in the burner.

Grab an empty beer can and some super scissors. Then cut a piece of the can out, about 2 1/2" square. Foil will work to. Form it so it kinda wraps around the burner tube. If the flame cant jump the can to light the entire burner you'll have to move the can to the end of the burner so you don't have unburned gas at any time. Thats not an OSHA approved suggestion but it'll work.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:51:30 PM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »
Another thing to try is warm the steak to room temp before cooking, but cover the strip with a sandwich bag full of ice.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »
Hey Hell Fire Grill,

That idea of providing a cooler spot on the grate is probably smart, but I still want to try one more steak, using my last method of searing, then cooking for a short time until I reach the 125 degree mark as read on my probe.

I won't grill a T-Bone or Porterhouse anymore, because having 2 types of meat on one steak just complicates things for me.  I'll go with Ribeye only from now on.

Before I joined this Forum, I didn't know anything about "Searing" or providing "Different Temperature Zones" on the grate, or "Marinating" or "Seasoning", or "Rubbing"!

My understanding throughout my 80 years has always been: Build a fire, put on the meat, cook it so it's not over or underdone, then take it off and eat it!  Period!

If I can't find EASY satisfaction with my Q1200, then I'll get rid if it, just like I got rid of my Kettle...I'll just give it away!

HiDesert "No Chef" Hal

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:17:23 AM by HiDesertHal »