Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about probe position for accurate temp reading  (Read 1230 times)

RobertBaron

• Smokey Joe
Question about probe position for accurate temp reading
« on: May 05, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
First post, but long time lurker...

So I always have a tough time with this scenario and thought I'd go ahead and ask.

I typically cook a whole brisket on my kettle using a slow n sear. Between the brisket on one side, the SnS on the other and the direction of the grates there isn't much room for me to clip the probe in anywhere on the grate. So I'm wondering if placing the probe (in the clip) on top of the brisket will give me an accurate temp reading of the cooking chamber?

Thanks ahead for the advice!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Question about probe position for accurate temp reading
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »
I don't see why that wouldn't work. The cool meat might throw your reading off a little at first but once the meat is warmed it should be good. I know this is taboo to most people but I only rely on the lid therm.  I've used it with a thermometer enough to know how it runs so no problem. After 4 or 5 hours I'll stick a probe in the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
Hey Robert. I would say that it would be fine. I ran a single probe that read the food temp and oven for a long time and had no issues.
You already know how your cooker runs obviously (vents and fuel) so if you see something out of the norm, you know to give it attention.
Take some pics and share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 02:57:35 PM »
I'd like to see a pic of your setup. I don't have any problem getting a packer and the probe on the grate and I too use a SnS in a 22.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

RobertBaron

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
I'd like to see a pic of your setup. I don't have any problem getting a packer and the probe on the grate and I too use a SnS in a 22.

Well I was going to have a pic of my setup on Memorial Day when I was supposed to do my next brisket, but that BBQ isn't happening now. I am curious to see how you set yours up though. For the life of me I can't fathom how you have enough room for 10-12 pound packer+SnS and have room to clip the probe on the grate in a good position. Do you have any pics of your set up?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
I looked on my phone and can't find a good example.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.