Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This just in: Orphan caught smoking 9 pound picnic ham unattended!  (Read 1057 times)

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
The orphan in question is my '15 OTS 18 converted to OTG minus one handle. Found it in a Publix supermarket dumpster. One wheel sticking up above the edge, that I saw while driving by. Score!Probably only used once for a demo and then tossed. It was put together cattywampus as well.

The cook:
Oops, I was in a hurry, thought I grabbed a pork butt. I wanted some pulled pork sammys for the gator game last night.

Rinsed with apple cider vinegar, and the skin cut back to get rub underneath.

Rubbed down, wrapped going in the fridge overnight.

I put it on at 6:30 AM. Using a 2 x 2 snake with hickory chips between the two layers. Started up nine or 10 coals to get it started. Riding at 265 when I left the house to go to work. Nine hours later and.....

Temp was right at 250 when I got back home and pulled the lid for the first time in nine hours.

I absolutely love The  Orphan! Not vintage but my most trusted and dialed in cooker. Since it was a picnic ham, I decided to pull it at 165 to slice.

I am too southern for my own good sometimes. Heart attack on a plate. The skin…

Deep fried smoked cracklin's,aka pork rinds.  I had one, awesome. I can't eat like this anymore! I will save the rest for my kids and grandkids.

A picnic ham is a whole Nother animal, compared to a pork butt. But, the nice thing is I got some sliced,pulled,chunked,cracklins and a nice bone to flavor up some greens on Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:12:00 AM by guitarfish »
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: This just in: Orphan caught smoking 9 pound picnic ham unattended!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »
Never cooked a Picnic, in fact, I can't remember seeing one in the supermarket.  But I will start looking again ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »
holy shit that looks awesome. can tell your seasoned at this method , I wouldn't trust my skills to leave it alone for 9+ hours

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »

Man I bet that will make some killer sandwiches. Is that your infamous homemade  K.I.S.S. rub? 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »
Very nice. Love cracklings from a shoulder roast. What's it like at 170*? Never pulled one that early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »
@Big Dawg give it a try! And I think I caught you by surprise with the neckbones cook last year as well :-)
@Cellar2ful  yes it's KISS rub and I finally got the WKC app figured out. Ha ha… I will be posting more often now :-)
@ LiquidOcelot  I have been cooking on the orphan since last May. Just guessing I probably have 120 cooks on this grill. I would never try an unattended cook until you really have your Weber dialed in. 2x2 snake stacked vertically, for more space on the 18.
The beautiful thing about the WKC is there is no secrets everybody just wants to cook great food!
K*I*S*S Rub:
-2 parts Brown sugar light or dark
-1 part Tony Chacere's  original creole  seasoning
-1 part Mccormicks salt free garlic and herb seasoning
-and optional Paprika for coloring.
And finally@Travis Killer, tender and juicy! When I do these I always turn the big joint towards the start of the snake to get that bone heated up. When I pulled it at 165 I dropped it in a big aluminum caldero and put the lid on.  I let it sit on the counter for about two hours before carving.

"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »
Looks great, bet it was fantastic!

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 04:19:45 PM »
Looking good.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

IndianBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 08:53:40 AM »
Wwwoooowww!!!

Sent from my SM-G7202 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Each purchase of a weber grill is a very special and rare occasion for me as they are rare to come by around here.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »
Looks fantastic! And grate save on the OTS... can't believe what people do these daze and just throw stuff away. Glad you found it in thyme...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.