Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Switching From Charcoal to Propane  (Read 1997 times)

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
Switching From Charcoal to Propane
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:38:18 AM »
Hello again!

After grilling 3 steaks on my new 18" Weber Kettle, I decided to give it to my Nephew and buy a 2-burner Propane grill.

I've paid my dues for over 80 years, so now I'm going for simplicity and ease of operation!

After fumbling around with charcoal briquettes, I would now like to just open a valve and push a button to start the fire and quickly get up to searing temperature.

I'm the only one in my househod who eats steaks, so even a single-burner grill would do for me, but a 2-burner would probably be better, just in case friends would want to have a steak with me.

Do you have any recommendations for a grill in the $200 range?  I've seen a couple Char-Broil models on Amazon that look pretty good.....

Thanks,
HiDesertHal

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:12:32 AM by Hal Pollner »

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Switching From Charcoal to Propane
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »
Hi again Hal. You might check out the Weber Q. Easy to use, and makes a great sear-grill. Easy to use, and of course, it's a Weber. 

Keep us informed.

Marty
Retired

IndianBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 07:02:09 AM »
You will like weber Q. Btw. There are also crossfire grill that can use coal or gas. avail in small size too

Sent from my SM-G7202 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Each purchase of a weber grill is a very special and rare occasion for me as they are rare to come by around here.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
Welcome back,  I Highly recommend a Weber q
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »
Welcome back HiDesertHal. I have owned and been using a Weber Q since 2005. It was called a Baby Q then.  I still have it and use it.   That model is now called the Weber Q 1000.  Perfect size for 1 person, yet large enough to cook for 4 people if needed.  Target, Walmart and Ace Hardware all should carry them Hal. I have it hooked up to a 5 gallon propane tank. You just need to buy an adapter hose.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
Go get the Weber Q Hal. When I was looking into gas I researched and watched a ton of videos on them. Easy to clean and maintain and they are great cookers. It's what I'll buy when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 07:20:47 AM »
+1 for the Q. It's a great cooking (and looking) sear machine. It has simple construction but has high quality parts.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:37:49 AM »
Thanks, guys!

The Weber Q-1200 looks like the model I would buy...it has a temp. gauge and folding side-tables which are features I like.

I would probably grill one steak a week when outside weather permits, so a small propane cylinder would suffice.

HiDesertHal

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:57 AM »
Thanks, guys!

The Weber Q-1200 looks like the model I would buy...it has a temp. gauge and folding side-tables which are features I like.

I would probably grill one steak a week when outside weather permits, so a small propane cylinder would suffice.

HiDesertHal

Perfect choice
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
Didn't see this coming. I thought for sure everyone would recommend the char broil.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 08:39:23 AM »
I've never owned any small gas grill or any gas grill for that matter for several years. What about the go anywhere gas?  I assume the q excels in certain areas over the go anywhere?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
Here's a few options from Craig's List Hal.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/hsh/6049438989.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/spo/6032009057.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »
I've never owned any small gas grill or any gas grill for that matter for several years. What about the go anywhere gas?  I assume the q excels in certain areas over the go anywhere?

The Q excels in many areas over the GA, built better more BTU, CI grate.