Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SJG & Original Jumbo Joe vent placement  (Read 1431 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
SJG & Original Jumbo Joe vent placement
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:55 AM »
I've yet to own either of these, so to those of you out there that have one and use them, how good is the venting system on them? Does having the vents higher up on the sides make a difference (good or bad) in temperatures during normal cooking (grill on it's own w/o any mods) as compared to having the bottom daisy wheel vent on a SJS or One Touch sweepers or 3 daisy wheels on an 18.5 standard kettle?

Duke

• The Duke
Re: SJG & Original Jumbo Joe vent placement
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
I highly prefer the bottom vents in any case. The SJG's and SJP,s look nice and are nice that they can be carried with one hand, but don't perform unless the lid is left off in my opinion. They always seem to baffle down when the lid is closed. I just find there needs to be a vent underneath. I feel they are best for looks.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
I like my SJP fine, you just have to know what is and what it isn't. If you just want to throw on a couple of brats, some chicken or burgers it'll do fine. What it can't do as well is sear so to me when I'm cooking steak or something else I'd like a hot sear on I use another grill. We've all got other grills right :).  Thanks for the topic, it's brought us this great quote "I highly prefer the bottom vents in any case" :)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:36:14 PM »
I agree if I'm grilling I'll use my SJS which has a CI grill
If I'm roasting I'll use my SJG or jumbo joe
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution