Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs at 225? I don't think so  (Read 3671 times)

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ribs at 225? I don't think so
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 08:20:38 AM »
225-250 works great for me in either a kettle or wsm. I measure my temps with a Maverick 732.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 05:03:43 PM »
250-275 works great for me.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
I have done BBQ on an offset (used lump exclusively), 18.5" WSM. "Mini" WSM and now use my Jumbo Joe , with Cajun Bandit Stacker. All of these cookers held/hold temp incredibly well. I try to shoot for 225*-250* for ribs, wrapped or not. Once I have my temp stabilized, I have a really good idea of how long I can leave it unattended. It is not often that I am actually home 100% of the time during a long cook like that. Low and slow (225*-250*) gives me that flexibility and the finished product doesn't suffer, at least for my taste. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »
I really put this to the test tonight. I went to a friends and he had 2 half slabs of spare ribs and a half rack of baby back. I brought a full rack. His weber's ash sweeps are seized in the wide open position. I left top vent wide open. We used a full chimney of kbb and some applewood. Hour and a half and these dudes were done. Sauced them and let bake in a couple times so total time was just under 2 hours. No therm so don't no what grill temp was but it was hot.  I don't have a good shot once they were sauced but they were fantastic. Oddly enough we got a great smoke ring too. I didn't have my normal mixture to spray them so I poured a little beer over them and rotated every 20 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Ribs at 225? I don't think so
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
I really put this to the test tonight. I went to a friends and he had 2 half slabs of spare ribs and a half rack of baby back. I brought a full rack. His weber's ash sweeps are seized in the wide open position. I left top vent wide open. We used a full chimney of kbb and some applewood. Hour and a half and these dudes were done. Sauced them and let bake in a couple times so total time was just under 2 hours. No therm so don't no what grill temp was but it was hot.  I don't have a good shot once they were sauced but they were fantastic. Oddly enough we got a great smoke ring too. I didn't have my normal mixture to spray them so I poured a little beer over them and rotated every 20 minutes or so.

Good deal. They look really good. Question. Any sugar in your initial rub? I've been wanting to try some high heat sans foil ribs, myself.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:35:56 PM by kettlecook »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »

Good deal. They look really good. Question. Any sugar in your initial rub? I've been wanting to try some high heat sans foil ribs, myself.

Don't know for sure. I used my friends rub. I'm sure it has sugar. That was the long rack. The others were seasoned by the store. I rubbed the long with mustard before rub. The rub he had was so good I asked him to send a picture so I can pick some up. Available at lowes.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Ribs at 225? I don't think so
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 08:01:11 PM »
Wow. I would've thought that a sugary rub would've started to burn, cooking that fast, so thanks for the feedback. Best couple of things I've learned lately is that a Memphis style dry rub is really good when dusted over glazed ribs. The sauce I used the other day was Stubb's Hickory Bourbon mixed about 50:50 with Cattleman's Kansas City, with some honey and a little vinegar sauce to thin it a bit. Just something you can do when one sauce needs a little something while another has a little too much of something. And by the way, neither of these sauces are near as sweet as most modern KC style sauces. Dusting over the glaze with some dry rub just adds another layer of flavor. Wish I'd learned this a long time ago. My wife liked them the same way and we are as different as Night and day. Anyhow, thanks again. Gotta speed up my rib cooks.