Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cod  (Read 2404 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Cod
« on: January 28, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
Has anyone tried smoking cod? It's on sale tomorrow and I was thinking of trying to smoke it.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cod
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
Hah... well... Salmon goes on sale tomorrow and Cod comes off sale... so looks like I'll try smoking salmon tomoorrow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 03:54:28 PM »
I think your question needs some clarifying.  What do you mean by smoke?  Do you mean cold smoking, or just cooking 225-250 or higher to impart smoke?  I don't really have an answer either way, but I'm sure someone will.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
My preference is to deep fry cod with a good pub style beer batter. You can use a cast iron dutch oven on your kettle for this. Fish N Chips or tacos!!!

Salmon will probably be easier to get good results directly on the grill. Lots of tried and true ways to grill/smoke salmon.

The local rockfish (cod) we get locally, are best deep fried, or sauteed in a pan. Halibut, Dorado and White Seabass are awesome on the grill! I have yet to smoke any of the fish I have caught. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:58:56 AM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »

Cedar plank ?? …. That's what I did.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/fish-tacos-cedar-planked-cod/

Wow.. now that looks delicious!! I'll have to give that a try with the cod.

When I was talking about smoking before... I was talking about the indirect cooking... 225-250 to impart smoke.

As salmon went on sale starting today.. I think I found a pretty simple and easy method to try.. so I'm going to try it this afternoon!

For the cod though.. a fish we normally buy... the plank cooking on the weber looks GREAT.... that's definitely on the list to try!

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Update:

So... I went to the store today and came home with about a pound and a half of Salmon (Cod went off - sale yesterday). I seasoned it up with some sea salt and peppercorn.

I lit up the charcoals and tossed on some hickory chunks. I went with about the same amount as reccommended by a vid I was watching (guy was using a 22" weber). While his target temp was 225-250.. I couldn't get mine much below 330 even with almost completely closing the top/bottom vents, so I shortened the cook time up (I've seen other salmon smoking vids were the person runs it in the 300-350 range. I did my best to determine when it was done.

The results? DELICIOUS!! Phenominal! I'm glad I tried this out!

With smoking I still need to master getting the temp down lower to get that prolonged cook

All in all... it was GREAT :)

Cod on the plank will be my next fish to go on the weber the next time its on sale.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
Not sure how much charcoal you are lighting from the start but try starting wth much less. It's easier to bring the temp up by opening the vents. Also I'd recommend trying to cool with as much airflow as possible. You don't want to choke out the coals and get creosote coating on the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
The guy in the video was using about 3/4 of a chimney.. so that's what I started with. Next time I would probably scale it back. I figured though having the vents open more would only allow everything to burn hotter and faster.. but yeah next time I will defintely cut the amount of coals back and see how that works out. How much would you fill a chimney starter with for a smoke if you want to keep it in the 225-250 range?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:50:09 PM by james1787 »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
I usually do the minion method and put about 7-10 lit coals on a pile of unlit and then adjust the vents to keep temp between 250-275

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »
@james1787 I'm no expert here, that's what I found works for me when trying to do a low slow cook. I use my Slow n Sear and I've failed a few times getting it down. Also, we like fish and seafood but I rarely cook it so I really don't know what the best temp range would be for salmon or cod on the grill. I'm glad yours turned out great. Like most things, the more we do this the better we will get.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
As a guy that has actually handled millions of pounds of cod I can say that for smoking you're probably better off with a fish that has more fat content.  Cod is more dry and flakey.
Tuna and salmon both have lots of good fat.
Best way to cook cod is covered in buttered bread crumbs and baked
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM