Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: German Pretzels  (Read 7198 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: German Pretzels
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
Just wanted to say Hello and thanks Jim (Bill lol) for the invite. Looks like a great forum can't wait to have a good look around.

Can't wait to see your pretzels and please be careful with the lye and remember to only use glass  or stainless steel with the lye. If you have any questions just yell out [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

What was your fire setup?  Looks like baskets on both sides, then the stones in the middle, maybe slightly over the baskets which I imagine helped the stones get hot enough.  Any coals under the stones?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
What is the difference between food grade & regular?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
@5onia , welcome, and thanks for giving a crazy people another "challenge"..

@mikerocksthered , pretty gnarly shit ain't it?!... going to amazon today to order a hazmat suit and chemical spill clean up kit!...[emoji23][emoji23]

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »
Welcome @5onia, I'm not much of a baker, but I probably will try your recipe.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »

What is the difference between food grade & regular?

Probably just "cleaner"... lol. Packaged in a sterile environment as opposed to guys outside shoveling it into a bag..lol

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

5onia

• Smokey Joe
German Pretzels
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »
@Travis I was looking for the intro page last night but couldn't find it, I'm using the app on my phone. Might need to get on my laptop and have a good look around.

@Cellar2ful my backyard is starting to look like a Weber  factory [emoji23][emoji15]

@MikeRocksTheRed yes indirect, basket either side and stone in the middle.

@varekai you are spot on, both types of lye are the same just food grade doesn't have and contamination

I'm in Melbourne and have a 20 kilo bag [emoji15] happy to give some away for free if anybody is in Melbourne? You can't post it because it's considered dangerous goods [emoji30]

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »
@5onia
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5onia

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »
@Travis Thanks [emoji2]

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 05:46:15 PM »
So food grade lye is just slightly less poisonous ;D It just kills you slower!!!!

5onia

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 06:08:35 PM »
Haha  all my German relatives have lived to a ripe old age while eating pretzels daily. just remember to always add the lye into the water. NEVER add water to lye!!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 05:35:04 AM »

Ok. Anyone want to try this?? I would.
I saw this too, commented and just thought how cool and out of the box kind of grilling is this!
Here's a thought. After the super bowl (feb 5) is done, anyone who wants to try this, comment on this post that you're in. Then, let's say the following weekend we all post our efforts of making a pretzel. That would be feb 12 and gives us all a week to get ingredients, and make something happen.
Doesn't mean you have to make it and post on the 12. Just post it on the 12. Just for fun.
If that's something that we would like to try, tag someone in and let's see who we can get involved.
@Cellar2ful @Jeff @MikeRockTheRed @VWbuggin64 @RottiGuy @Darko @kettlebb @HoosierKettle @Bobbq @crowderjd @swamprb @wessonjb @Mr.CPHo @captjoe06 @varekai @Mr.Hoss @kemmons

List more fella's. @ guys from your area. These are just a few I know how to spell...

Let's have some fun with it.

A group cook sounds like a lot of fun, @Travis, and normally I'd be all about it, but unfortunately I won't be able to participate this time around due to work related travel.  I'm looking forward to the results though!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
German Pretzels
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 07:20:29 AM »

Ok. Anyone want to try this?? I would.
I saw this too, commented and just thought how cool and out of the box kind of grilling is this!
Here's a thought. After the super bowl (feb 5) is done, anyone who wants to try this, comment on this post that you're in. Then, let's say the following weekend we all post our efforts of making a pretzel. That would be feb 12 and gives us all a week to get ingredients, and make something happen.
Doesn't mean you have to make it and post on the 12. Just post it on the 12. Just for fun.
If that's something that we would like to try, tag someone in and let's see who we can get involved.
@Cellar2ful @Jeff @MikeRockTheRed @VWbuggin64 @RottiGuy @Darko @kettlebb @HoosierKettle @Bobbq @crowderjd @swamprb @wessonjb @Mr.CPHo @captjoe06 @varekai @Mr.Hoss @kemmons

List more fella's. @ guys from your area. These are just a few I know how to spell...

Let's have some fun with it.

A group cook sounds like a lot of fun, @Travis, and normally I'd be all about it, but unfortunately I won't be able to participate this time around due to work related travel.  I'm looking forward to the results though!

You can make them anytime between now and then and just post the results on the 12th. Surely you can fit a smokey joe and a baking stone in your luggage somewhere.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 07:42:32 AM »
Reading up on it, I'm going to go The baked baking soda route. Pretty much because I have it already.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
I'm going to get to this sometime in the next couple of weekends...this weekend is too busy, but I am looking forward to this, and the wife is super excited as well!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »

Reading up on it, I'm going to go The baked baking soda route. Pretty much because I have it already.

I'm doing that as well. I was looking at the Alton brown recipe.  Just glanced at it so far.