Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Years Ribs on Stacker  (Read 2326 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
New Years Ribs on Stacker
« on: January 01, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »
Made two racks of spareribs on my Cajun Bandit Stacker.  It was raining, dark and windy at about 51 degrees.  That is cold for us in Arizona.  I would not be deterred!  The ribs were trimmed and prepared and the rub was made the night before.  I quickly set up the cooker dashing between rain drops.  I added a healthy amount of Stubbs leaving a small hole in the middle for pre-lit briquettes.  Found some grease free pre-used fuel and fired up my mini chimney.  Got the fire going and let the temp settle before I put the ribs on.  I used apple chunks.  An hour into the cook the sun came out..figures!  The temps hung from the 265-278 range.  There were adjustments here and there but nothing major.  Normally I would keep it in the 250 degree range.  I like the higher temp range better.  Yes I used binder clips to seal the lid better.  It works for me.  Periodically I rotated the meat and sprayed with apple juice mixed with water.  Love the stacker because it responds so well to minor adjustments.  Cooked the ribs for five hours and another hour wrapped.  They turned out great.  Tender with a beautiful smoke ring.  After the kettle cooled I checked to see how much fuel I used.  There was probably enough for another 4 hours.  That is awesome because the charcoal ring was about half full when I started.  Next time I may use lump.  I used to use it on long cooks all the time.  Check out the pics.....

Two hours into the cook

Nice temp range

Time to wrap

Great smoke ring

Fuel left over after a six hour cook
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New Years Ribs on Stacker
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
Looks great Dave!
That is a lot of leftover fuel. That was really efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »
Oh yeah, nice beer choice!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »

Thanks its my fav!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
Looks great!
This has me totally checking out a stacker, even though I already have a wsm, and 26er theses things seem so cool

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 01:46:41 AM »
What exactly do you attribute the low fuel consumption? The binder clips, the stacker, or some combination?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 06:55:09 AM »
What exactly do you attribute the low fuel consumption? The binder clips, the stacker, or some combination?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mostly the stacker.  Also starting out at low temps and very slowly bringing the temps up.  I used the clips because I wanted a better seal.  They were on for about half of the cook.

Maineac

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »
While those ribs are beautiful the most significant part of the cook to me is that low fuel usage.  It is now apparent that when I purchased my black kettle I should have gotten a crimson one.   :)

- Dean
Performer - Jumbo Joe - Smokey Joe Gold - Bayou Classic SS84
MAK 1 Star #184 - Bradley OBS #968,312 - Spirit E-310

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »
While those ribs are beautiful the most significant part of the cook to me is that low fuel usage.  It is now apparent that when I purchased my black kettle I should have gotten a crimson one.   :)

- Dean
This is how it starts [emoji41]

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »
^^^^too true[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 11:20:32 PM »

???

Aren't all beer choices nice? The worst beer that I ever had was wonderful.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 05:13:29 AM »
@Jon
Good point!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
@Jon
Good point!

True that!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
Great looking cook!  That stacker gets similar fuel economy to my mini-wsm....always shocked by how much coal is left when I use that.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 04:43:39 AM »

???

Aren't all beer choices nice? The worst beer that I ever had was wonderful.

Oh, man, that just reminded me of the worst beer that I ever had. It wasn't wonderful - it was horrid.

My wife and I had the good fortune to travel to St. Lucia with friends a few years ago. Their local brewery puts out a decent pilsner - called Piton - that we consumed in large quantities daily. But they also make something called (near as I can remember) a Royal Caribe. That stuff was so sweet that none of us could drink it. Absolutely horrid.