Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Today's cook completely inspired by WKC.  (Read 1522 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Today's cook completely inspired by WKC.
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
Today was the coldest day of the year here in Jacksonville, Florida.  The only thing that got me out of my warm bed were the pictures of @geezer's dutch oven stew and the thought that I'd better thaw something quick if I wanted to make something similar.

I saw someone ask earlier if it was ok to use enameled cast iron, so figured I'd pull out from hiding this blue 7.25 qt le creuset dutch oven to use on a blue 22" OTG midget.
When I looked through the freezer, I decided I'd start the base of the stew by roasting marrow bones with root veggies , S&P, and rosemary.
While that was roasting on the red SSP, I cut up beef cheeks which are just awesome for braised stews.  This is about 3.5lbs untrimmed.This cross section shows the striations of fat throughout the meat.I applied liberal S&P to the cubed cheeks, dredged in flour, and browned all sides.  Usually this is the most time intensive step, but with the extra large lodge pan I did it in just two batches.
So now with all the components prepped, I was ready to assemble.Marrow bones on the bottom so that they'll stay intact and keep the beef cheeks above the liquid.Potatoes.Carrots.Onions.Where's the beef?Beef stock.Red wine.... uh... maybe a little more...Cover and watch some football.After a couple hours, stirred in some corn and peas.Another hour and it was ready to be served over white rice.
Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for looking.  Have a great week!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:52:13 PM by Mr.CPHo »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Today's cook completely inspired by WKC.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
Unbelievable. Great stuff and I love the midget. I plan on making a small fleet of midgets myself.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:05:38 PM »
Something amazing every day on these forums. I bet that was very rich and comforting to eat. Bravo!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
Love that cook and love that blue shorty. Nice job, bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
Wow!  That looks amazing.  Great write-up!!!  Loving that blue midget.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »
Ummm...that is so awesome!
Looks amazing

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »
Blue on Blue shorty looks amazing. Great cook out. Nicely done.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »
I love that blue midget!
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Those midgets of yours get me every time.  So awesome.  As usual, love the cooks you post with step by step instructions.  If you don't already a good way to keep a journal of your cooks and take note of what works and what you'd do differently is to do exactly what you do here on your own blog.  After a while you'll have a nice catalog of your cooks and Weber builds.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 01:25:38 AM »
Wow looks great!!

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:49:39 AM »
Man, that looks good!  That's the nice thing about these stews, you can alter, add, delete, substitute ingredients to you and your family's liking. 

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
That looks amazing!  You are quite the chef!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson