Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First try at Gumbo  (Read 943 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
First try at Gumbo
« on: January 01, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »
Also not Weber-related, but I'm one of those who lets the grill sit during the winter. Making the roux on a grill might be tricky...

Bacon grease and flour to make a roux. I started with the heat too low and stirred this for about an hour and a half to get the color I wanted.

That'll do:

Added onion, green pepper, Andouille sausage and a combination of chicken broth and shrimp stock (peeled shrimp and put the shells in cheesecloth to boil). Seasoned with Tony Chacheres creole seasoning.

Simmered for an hour, added shrimp and simmered for another half hour.

Served over rice:

This may not be exactly true to the recipe, but it was awesome. Rich, spicy deliciousness.

Next time I may add some tomatoes and celery, but I'll probably keep avoiding the okra.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: First try at Gumbo
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
Love me some gumbo. I'd take a bowl of that, anytime.
Still need a 22” yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
I'll second that @TheDude

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »
That looks very good.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First try at Gumbo
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »
I love making gumbo. Give celery a try. It "melts" in and isn't noticeable texturally but it adds a great flavor component imo. Roux looks great. I'm never patient enough to get that great color

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:36:27 PM by HoosierKettle »

Maineac

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »
I love gumbo and yours looks as good as any I've had in Arcadiana.  Awesome roux! 

When I've made it I've always stirred the roux like you, but my next one will be made in the oven like Alton Brown's - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shrimp-gumbo-recipe.html.  And I have read that it freezes well so I will be making a double batch and freezing half.  These could be real time savers.

-Dean
Performer - Jumbo Joe - Smokey Joe Gold - Bayou Classic SS84
MAK 1 Star #184 - Bradley OBS #968,312 - Spirit E-310

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
@haeffb that is one beautiful chocolate rue, patience rules to make that rue, and a nice looking gumbo too
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill