Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas Challenge  (Read 1559 times)

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
Christmas Challenge
« on: December 25, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »
First time trying 7 sirloins on a 22 cooked to order. Got my trusty Thermopop and plan on doing a reverse sear to get them to each individuals doneness.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Christmas Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
That's a tough one! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »
That would be a fun cook. Obviously have to do in batches unless you got another grill involved. Let us know how you proceed. Killer looking steaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »
5 of those look like ribeyes? If so the two sipping will cook at a different pace. 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 12:41:34 AM »
Had to do 3 batches. Overshot a few of the ribeyes supposedly not by much though. All turned out great. Kroger had them on sale for $5.77 a lb. The 2 smaller ones were Nolan Ryan and for the kids.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:27:58 AM »
The trick here is bricks. Or some other way to make a radiant barrier. I found some nice tall bricks in my yard when I moved in and cleaned em off just for this purpose. Fire bricks are also available at HD.

Make a L with bricks on one edge of coal grate. Coals will go in there obviously. You don't really want coals past the top edge of the bricks. Now you have 3/4 of cooking surface available instead of just half. You can place food within 2 inches of bricks and still not be in a hotspot but I still place more done steaks closer to fire. I usually throw a smoke chunk on cooking grate above the fire..fyi.

Now place lid and leave it alone for 12-15 minutes depending on temp of meat when it hit the grill (brought to room temp or not). Probe steaks for temp. About 3 degrees from target temp open grill and clean off area above coals. LEAVING LID OFF. Move steaks over to sear section one or 2 at a time. Leaving the lid off will cut the heat source to the rest of the grill. When done searing close the lid and go grab your resting platter. Probe for temp again, pull em, rest for minimum 7 minutes tented with foil.

With this method I was able to cook a whole beef tenderloin cut into 21 steaks in one shot and on time. I can't take credit for this technique. I pulled together a hodgepodge of info from WKC and weber grill skills videos, and some books I've read. Basically just happened out of necessity when wife said we got 21 for dinner and I have a 22 ots to please the crowd. Make it happen..

Tip..place fat trimmings above fire with smoke wood. The heat will liquify the fat and drip into fire for another layer of flavor. This all works great with chicken also
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
That is great info @MINIgrillin. I'll have remember this. Need to get some fireplace bricks. I've got some old ones we used in the fire pit before but they smell like oil when they burn.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »
So there we no grilling pics on this thread and i really wanted to but that was a lot of juggling real fast. Anyway I'm reheating a ribeye tonight sous vide style. Water in crockpot is staying around 135. No circulation so i just pick it up and jiggle it every once in a while. Reverse Sous Vide!

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
Not to let this thread die without at least a finished product pic, this was the best reheated steak I've ever had.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 06:57:29 PM »
Not to let this thread die without at least a finished product pic, this was the best reheated steak I've ever had.

A vaccum sealer is a hell of a thing for leftovers. I never used to eat leftovers.
Still need a 22” yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 06:58:51 PM »
That looks incredible. Nice job bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk