Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked cheese experiment  (Read 894 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Smoked cheese experiment
« on: December 20, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
I love smoked cheese and always wanted to smoke some of my own.  I looked through several posts to learn how to do it.  Was thinking of getting a tube or maze pellet device but I wanted to get some cheese smoked before the holiday.  Just for S and Gs I experimented with using applewood and briquettes.  I lined up three briquettes with chunks of wood on top and below then lit just one to start it.  It worked just fine.  Gave me a steady smoke for two hours and could have gone much longer.  I used my CB Stacker with the diffuser plate and an ice tray under the cheese.  The highest the temp got was about 81 degrees.  It was a cool day.  Had no problem controlling the temp.   

*This was done about a week ago.  I just had no time to post it due to a ton of OT at work.  I will probably do my taste test Christmas day.

Used my CBS for the smoke

Four briquettes with one lit and slivers of apple wood

Diffuser plate inside and tray of ice under cheese (Towards end of cook ice melted)

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Smoked cheese experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »
Awesome Dave!  I smoked 10 lbs of cheese on Saturday when it was pretty chilly.  I think I actually prefer to have the grill somewhere between 70-85 so the cheese gets soft and the smoke goes deeper.  Saturday I didn't have a thermo in my grill but I'm willing to bet it didn't get above 60.  I think the cheese will still be great and have already shipped some to family, but it just doesn't have the color it usually does when its getting close to being too warm out here to smoke cheese.

It should be just perfect come Christmas Eve or Day if you did it a week ago.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
Great job, Dave. Would love to try this someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »
Need to try this method

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule