Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: tatonka dust  (Read 5014 times)

Maineac

• Smokey Joe
Re: tatonka dust
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 04:28:29 AM »
I keep a big bag in deep freezer.  The shaker I keep in freezer in kitchen.  No problem after I started doing that.
Thanks for this.  I also lost a bunch to hardening.

- Dean
Performer - Jumbo Joe - Smokey Joe Gold - Bayou Classic SS84
MAK 1 Star #184 - Bradley OBS #968,312 - Spirit E-310

walshman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 05:08:01 AM »
Dust arriving from Holland tomorrow. Better go buy some wings. For those whose dust has gone hard, Owens recommend whacking it in the spice grinder.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:41:35 AM by walshman »

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
Mine got pretty jammed up too.  i talked to Tanya who said I could drop it in a coffee grinder or blender to make it powder again.  I think whatever anti caking agent they use isn't completely effective, so it absorbs all the moisture and creates cement more or less.  Freezer sounds like a good idea.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
Very interesting. I just checked mine and it was a little chunky, but I was able to break it up just by squishing the shaker.  It's dry here in AZ so maybe that is why it wasn't as hard as others have experienced.  I went ahead and took the top off covered the shaker with plastic wrap then put the top back on as a preventative measure.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 05:08:25 PM »
Mine was hardened so bad I could barely chip it with the point of a steak knife.  Too bad because I really liked it and wanted to order more.  But, if it requires that much maintenance, I'll just use something else.

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
Mine was hardened so bad I could barely chip it with the point of a steak knife.  Too bad because I really liked it and wanted to order more.  But, if it requires that much maintenance, I'll just use something else.
Okay.....more for the rest of us. That don't mind storing a shaker in freezer instead of cabinet.  I like fact it's not full of chemicals an anti-caking agents etc.
Search of Blue or Green MBH

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 01:09:51 PM »
Well.....they are sourcing new ingredients (charcoal) so maybe the new batch of tatonka dust will not have this issue.  Another option would be to put your shaker in a ziplock bag with a silica packet when not in use.  I think that would take care of the moisture causing the seasoning to harden.  I'm assuming that would be safe as long as it was not in the shaker itself.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 01:34:56 PM »
Yep. Coffee grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk