Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tough ribs. I'm doing something wrong?  (Read 5057 times)

walshman

• Smokey Joe
Tough ribs. I'm doing something wrong?
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »
So I've got the ribs looking good on the weber with the dry rub on and I'm cooking them on an indirect heat for 2 hours,lid on at around 250f. I've seen a couple of you tube videos where they seem to be on the grill for hours and the meat falls off the bone. Mine are as tough as a marine. A few pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Tough ribs. I'm doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:43:46 AM »
Are they just tough or dry as well? Sounds like you need to cook them longer to get the fat and collagen to render out. Ribs at 250 will take 4-6 hours to cook. You can't go by temp either. Some people like to use the bend test but I've found that method to be inconsistent and picking up the slab mars the meat. I prefer the skewer/toothpick test where you poke the ribs and make sure that it's tender. You'll get the feel eventually for either method. Don't be shy to use foil halfway through for more consistency. Look up the 2-1-1 or 3-2-1 method. The meat should pull cleanly off the bone without bits of it getting stuck.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:02:10 AM »
If your cooking at 250F for 2 hrs, It's not enough time. At 250 you need around 5-6 hrs. What you want to do is get the ribs to around 195F Internal temp. This will give you tender meat with a bit of a bite.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:21:45 AM »
I'm a fan of the toothpick. Slide in and out without much resistance, and yes, much longer cooking time required as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:56:11 AM »
Wrap em.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

walshman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies gents. I cooked them once for 4 hours but pretty much was the same as the 2 hour ones. Darko. When you say 250F for 2 hours is not enough time, surely they wouldn't go from being tough to falling off the bone?

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
At about 325, mine take 2.5-3 hours.  And that is with 1.5 hours in wrap.

You need more time at a minimum.  If you want to keep cooking at 250, my suggestion would probably be 2 hours in smoke, then 2 hours in Foil.  That will at least get you closer.     

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »
What you need to do is cook the ribs so all the collagen breaks down. Low and slow works very well, but there is a risk of drying out the meat. Another option is to go hot and fast. Roughly around 400F for around 45-50 minutes, then wrap in foil and let it go for another 45 min or so...The ribs come out nice and tender. As I said before, try taking the ribs to 195F.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »
Also you didn't specify the type of ribs. Pork spare ribs? St. Louis cut? Baby back? Beef ribs?  Baby Back are my favs and I cook them 4-5 hours no hotter than 250. Personal preference for me is I don't like them soaking wet and I don't like them falling off the bone. Light on the sauce and tender enough to easily pull apart but stay on the bone. I take the membrane off the back and season both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrStik

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
I do my St Louis Ribs using the 3-2-1 method at 225-250.  3 smoked, 2 wrapped, and 1 more unwrapped.  They are always (according to the wife) juicy, tender and yummy. 2 hours at 250 sounds like it is not enough time to render all the toughness out of them.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »
What all these guys said ! Huge believer in the 3-2-1. Also you can tell when it's ready by twisting the bones side to side or toothpick

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 05:26:43 PM »
Pretty well covered. Time is of the essence. I don't like fall off the bone, mushy ribs, so I don't wrap. I'd do both low and slow and hot and fast, depending on the situation. L&S I go 4-5 hours @ 250°ish. H&F about 1.5 hours. I don't monitor temps for H&F. Full chimney in the baskets, vents wide open. I prefer the texture of H&F, but you get way more smoke with L&S.

It's not called low and SLOW for nothing.
Still need a 22” yellow

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 02:41:41 AM »
So I've got the ribs looking good on the weber with the dry rub on and I'm cooking them on an indirect heat for 2 hours,lid on at around 250f. I've seen a couple of you tube videos where they seem to be on the grill for hours and the meat falls off the bone. Mine are as tough as a marine. A few pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

Which type of ribs are you cooking-Spares or Loin Backs?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

walshman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »

Which type of ribs are you cooking-Spares or Loin Backs?
Pork ribs

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Tough ribs. I'm doing something wrong?
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
It's the little things in life that make us smile [emoji57]

@walshman Hey bud, spare ribs and babybacks are both from the pig. They are cut from different areas of the animal. Spare ribs are fattier than babybacks and require longer cooking times as to break down the fat.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:53:50 AM by Travis »