Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about the CB charcoal ring  (Read 3248 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Question about the CB charcoal ring
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:04:18 AM »
Does anyone have the Cajun Bandit replacement charcoal ring for a WSM 22.5? How is it different from the stock Weber ring that comes with the WSM? The picture of the CB ring looks the same as the Weber ring to me? Anyone?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Question about the CB charcoal ring
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
I have it. It's diameter is a little larger than the perimeter of the charcoal grate and the grate sits on some tabs so that you can lift both at once via the ring. Its a little higher capacity and high quality SS. It's nice but not a "must have" imo.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »
Yup exactly what PBE said. I like that I can lift the ring and the grate comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
I have it. It's diameter is a little larger than the perimeter of the charcoal grate and the grate sits on some tabs so that you can lift both at once via the ring. Its a little higher capacity and high quality SS. It's nice but not a "must have" imo.

Thanks for the info. Do you have the replacement access door as well? If so, how does that compare with the stock door? Only reason I ask is that I noticed CB offers both pieces as a package deal and was curious if the replacement door was significantly better or only an incremental improvement?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Bob Ivey

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
I have the replacement door CB door on my WSM22 and is definitely a big upgrade.  Heavy gauge stainless steel.  You might have to initially shape to the exact curvature of the middle section.  To me, that is a must have for your WSM.
Bob Ivey

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 04:55:04 PM »
I have the replacement door CB door on my WSM22 and is definitely a big upgrade.  Heavy gauge stainless steel.  You might have to initially shape to the exact curvature of the middle section.  To me, that is a must have for your WSM.

Thanks Bob Ivey and welcome aboard!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »
I have it and the rotisserie as well. As bob said it's amazing quality. Is it needed? No, but if you got a few extra bucks and want a really nice upgrade, get it. You won't be disappointed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
I have the CB ring and door....LOVE IT. heavy guage, and being able to lift the coal grate along with the ring is a plus. It was on my WSM when i got it, so i can't compare to the stock door, however I have the stock ring and I say the CB ring is  a great upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:53 PM »

Bob hit the nail on the head here. The CB is great. It seals and holds it shape well. Def a must have for the 22.5" wsm
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 03:14:18 AM »
Does anyone have the Cajun Bandit replacement charcoal ring for a WSM 22.5? How is it different from the stock Weber ring that comes with the WSM? The picture of the CB ring looks the same as the Weber ring to me? Anyone?

@ramsfan

I've got one of the expanded rings that have the tabs to raise the ring off the grate bolts on the Gen1 22" WSM. Weber screwed the pooch on the first year models and the ash grate sat so low in the bowl that they had a habit of clogging the intake vents. Cajun Bandit was on the ball with this ring.

A lot of folks did a spacer mod to the grate bolts which took care of the problem until Weber quietly introduced the Gen2 WSM with the arched door opening and raised the charcoal grate height. This is what the Gen1 mod looks like:

The charcoal grate fits inside and rests on tabs - another great innovation!

I wired the grate to the ring on mine.

Here is the WSM ring inside the Cajun Bandit ring. It may not look like much, but the CB ring would hold a whole 22lb bag of KBB. I think the WSM ring holds @ 18lbs.....so figure for low 'n slow cooks with @22lbs of KBB and a chimney of lit Minion you might get 3-5 hours more cooking time.

Hope this clears up any questions on the ring @ramsfan - hit me up if you have any more.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:31:35 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!