Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket cook  (Read 2204 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Brisket cook
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:04:23 AM »
This is only my second attempt at a brisket. First one was on the wsm. This one was on my 26 using smokenator. Put it on at noon. Cooked 6 hours at 250ish. Wrapped for 2 hours. Cooked at 400ish the last 2 hours to get it done in time to eat. Pulled when temp in the thick part hit 195. I used olive oil, Tony's and salt and pepper. I added a little soy when I wrapped it. I thought it turned out really good but I'll bet I'm missing some steps that the masters do. Also it had a thick fat side that I trimmed to around a 1/4".  I've read all sorts of different ways to season, trim, cook. How do you guys prepare a brisket?  I seasoned right before I put it on. I'm wondering if I should marinate or dry brine the day before?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Brisket cook
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 06:05:15 AM »
I used hickory and apple wood and kbb

jd

• WKC Brave
Re: Brisket cook
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:36:19 AM »
that looks really good to me
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 07:21:25 AM »
Looks incredible from here, Sean. This was the one you put up on the "guess the meat and kettle" thread, right? Nice job. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 07:52:16 AM »
My last few I didn't trim up the fat, just cut out any hard pieces. Hit it with the rub right on the kettle. No marinade or spray bottle.   Not that I take everything as spoken word but Amazing Ribs has some nice reading on marinades and smoke and why they don't really penetrate all the way through the meat. I think yours looks great. If your method is working for you then I wouldn't change it.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »
Thanks guys. The next one I will allow more time so I can avoid that last 2 hour hot part of the cook. I took the captured juices from the wrap and used a fat separator to make ah jus. Kind of a nice option to barbecue sauce if your watching your carbs.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 08:31:39 AM »
What's a fat separator and what gadget are you using to accomplish the task?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 09:08:58 AM »
What's a fat separator and what gadget are you using to accomplish the task?

It's basically a measuring cup that has a spout that comes / pours off the BOTTOM of the receptacle..........the fat floats to the top after a short rest & you pour off the "good" juice from underneath it....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
That would be nice to have. I usually let it cool then put it in the fridge. Once cold I try to scrape the fat out and keep the liquid. This would be much easier. Thanks fellas.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Brisket cook
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
That would be nice to have. I usually let it cool then put it in the fridge. Once cold I try to scrape the fat out and keep the liquid. This would be much easier. Thanks fellas.

They are inexpensive and very nice to have for things like ah jus but I use it more for gravy making. Turkey, chicken, or ham juice fat separated and added to a sauce pot with a corn starch and water mixture makes awesome translucent gravy.

And yes I said ham.  If you haven't tried ham gravy your missing out. Probably the richest gravy and tastes unbelievable over mashed potatoes. It's a Christmas staple at our house and has been done for generations.  The ham juice is so flavorful that you don't need any additional seasoning. We do an old fashion ham wrapped tightly in a pan in the oven as the juice maker.