Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aaaand we're off.  (Read 1623 times)

JVReich

• Smokey Joe
Aaaand we're off.
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:10:27 AM »
First time to do ribs on the Performer and my first time trying beef short ribs at all.  Fingers  crossed.   Going to use the baskets and put ribs in the middle.  Hope I can keep the temps down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVReich

• Smokey Joe
Re: Aaaand we're off.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »
So first lesson learned.  Don't need much charcoal to get to temp.  I used way too much.  Even with vents closed I can't get below 400.  So took one basket out and now at 350 and dropping.   No meat on yet.  It's still fun learning. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
For my ribs I fill a basket of unlit charcoal then put 7-9 lit briquettes on top. When the temp hits 200 I start closing the bottom vent off. I like to aim for 250-275.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JVReich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »
So yea, just moved all the hot coals to a different grill and put on some chicken breasts for lunch this coming week.  Started over.  One basket of unlit coals with 9 lit and some hickory chunks.  Looking good so meat should go on soon.   Only about a hour behind schedule. 

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 02:14:08 PM »
Best of luck. Not sure if you're looking for advice but the snake method is sooooo easy to keep temps low. I only start with about 10 lit briquettes at the beginning of the snake. Think of it more like a fuse.  Only so many coals are going at once. It's so easy most often I'll only have to adjust the vents once or twice. Key is to let the temps climb to 200 and then close the bottom vent 2/3 of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
+1 for the snake. Super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 04:27:13 AM »
90% of the time I use the snake. Is use my baskets and minion in the WSM the remaining 10%.  Always perfect for long low n slow... 
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...