Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Venison Marinating In Spiedie Sauce For Smoking Tomorrow  (Read 1280 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Venison Marinating In Spiedie Sauce For Smoking Tomorrow
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:15:22 AM »
We’ll be smoking some South Rockport MA Woods deer.
 Not a lot of fat in deer meat so the plan is to smoke it between 225-250 degrees until it reaches 160 degrees internally. But first we’re going to marinate it to tenderize and break down some of the connective tissue and add as much moisture to the venison as possible.
  Going to use Spiedie marinade that Friends Jimmy and Pat brought from Upstate New York. Spiedie marinade is special to the Greater Binghamton NY area. So special that they have a Spiedie festival every year to celebrate all type of meats cooked with the Special Spiedie marinade.
 Gonna let it marinade for over 24 hours.
Pat and Jimmy tell me the Lupos brand is the original and the standard.
20161104_045718.jpg20161104_045739.jpgwp-1478251458338.jpg
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Venison Marinating In Spiedie Sauce For Smoking Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »
I've never smoked venison before, only grilled, and have only cooked it a few times times now. Curious about taking the IT up to 160. Seems like venison prefers med rare, but that's grilling.
What's your thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
My son-in-law takes the back strap, butterfly's it lengthwise.  Mixes up some whipped cream cheese and green chlies n SPG.  Smears it on one half of the BS.  folds it and wraps in country bacon.  Smokes with Hickory until IT hits 160.  Its amazing.... 
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »
So good.  My wife turned me on to speides.  Salamidas is also pretty good.  They also make good chicken marinade like the typical Cornell chicken.   Enjoy that meal!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »

I've never smoked venison before, only grilled, and have only cooked it a few times times now. Curious about taking the IT up to 160. Seems like venison prefers med rare, but that's grilling.
What's your thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know, it's just that I got the deer meat from one of my fishermen. It's not like getting it from a supermarket under controlled conditions. So my thought process was to kill anything

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM