Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked pork butt with snake charm method  (Read 1670 times)

eelizondo123

• Happy Cooker
Smoked pork butt with snake charm method
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
Injected this pork butt with apple juice, vinegar base, then let rest for three hours. Rubbed with Chupacabra spice, then made snake charm bricket method with hickory and mesquite chips mixed in, for a steady 250 degrees, low and slow.
Question,  how long should I leave uncovered, and how long covered? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:48:15 PM by eelizondo123 »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoked pork butt with snake charm method
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
I usually wrap at the stall. Around 160°. You'll know when you get there.
Still need a 22” yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »
You can wrap at the stall, or wrap when ever you get the color you want or just spritz to keep moist and not wrap at all.
Lookin good so far and welcome to he WKC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »
I've never wrapped a shoulder, brisket, or ribs. I've never had an issue with pork drying out. Had one brisket get a tad dry but it was at higher heat and I like a little bite to my ribs. Enough to pull the bones apart but not fall off the bone. Try not wrapping, you'll have nice bark.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »
I have never wrapped a pork shoulder/butt either.

But I'm notoriously lazy - anything to make it more simple.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
Only reason I wrap butts, is to cut a few hours off the cook time. Now that my WSM and I trust each other, I'll probably go overnight and not wrap.
Still need a 22” yellow

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 06:58:35 PM »
I don't wrap either.  As it cooks I spray it with apple juice.  There is so much fat in a but it is hard to dry one out.  Buts give  a large margin for error.  Sometimes I may wrap after I pull it from the grill.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »
I've wrapped plenty. I used to use foil but it seemed to me that it steamed the butt and I have lost that good "bark". Kind of pot roast like. That's not every time, i probably did something wrong.
If I wrap, I like to use butcher paper. It retains moisture while preserving the bark. If it doesn't look like it's getting too dark you can just spritz it as Davescprktl says and not wrap at all. They have a lot of internal fat that prevents drying.
Like Dude said, it'll help shave some cooking time off for sure though if you do.
Lots of good advise.