Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: *Weber Jumbo Joe 22" Premium Charcoal Grill* ???Questions???  (Read 3527 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
*Weber Jumbo Joe 22" Premium Charcoal Grill* ???Questions???
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
I'm starting to see these pop up on cl/seattle reasonably CHEAP.

While I HATE the taco handles, sometimes buying them or other kettles for parts alone sometimes will put you money ahead on some RRR or Drum Smoker projects

Couple questions I have for the group or 22" JJPCG users are:

Would you recommend this grill for a newbie griller?

Will the bolt on leg set fit in the sockets of typical kettles?

Side x side with a regular 22" are there any size differences? Leg height or lid the same size as a regular kettle?

Lets hear it!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: *Weber Jumbo Joe 22" Premium Charcoal Grill* ???Questions???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »

While I HATE the taco handles, sometimes buying them or other kettles for parts alone sometimes will put you money ahead on some RRR

+1.   

I would like to find about this kettle too.   Same price as 22" OTS.  Walmart.com shows not available.  Maybe a discontinued model.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »

While I HATE the taco handles, sometimes buying them or other kettles for parts alone sometimes will put you money ahead on some RRR

+1.   

I would like to find about this kettle too.   Same price as 22" OTS.  Walmart.com shows not available.  Maybe a discontinued model.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-Jumbo-Joe-22-Premium-Charcoal-Grill/39649584
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:29:00 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 11:25:20 AM »
I think it was a Walmart exclusive in the US. I never seen any in Canada.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:27:59 AM »

Sold & Shipped by WalMart

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »

Sold & Shipped by WalMart

Darko is right!   When I click on the above link - Item not available near you

It has really shallow bowl.  I am assuming it is good for grilling mainly.  With different bowl vent and no leg sockets, not sure how this would be any better than the reg. kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:57:35 AM »
its on amazon too
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Jumbo-Premium-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B01A2GPZ2O/ref=sr_1_24?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1477079688&sr=1-24&keywords=weber+charcoal+grill

I'm glad this topic was brought up.  I can't figure out why anyone would want this over a standard one touch??  Looks like a crappy version of the normal 22" and it's still the same price!!

I don't get it.  Just saw one in the wild while working today for the first time.

Probably not fair of me to call it crappy as it's probably a nice grill, but not sure why anyone would choose this over the silver to

Edit:  I get it now.  It's 99 on amazon but 77 on walmart's site and walmart also has the ot silver for 99.  Still not worth it imo.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:01:47 PM by HoosierKettle »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
It's also available in Europe. It's called the "Compact Kettle" http://www.weberstephen.es/nuestras-gamas/barbacoas-de-carbon/compact-kettle-2lci.aspx

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »
Great questions, Swamprb.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 06:10:21 AM »
I had one … but, not for long.  It was part of a rescue last winter.
I was more interested in the Manturion Griddle that was included in the deal.
Both travelled from South Africa to Canada.  The sellers were super nice people.

Not sure if this lid was truly a Weber, as the vent was blank, and the vent position was that for an 18".

Never used it … Couldn't stand looking at it, so I sold it for $10.  Didn't have the heart to sell it for any more …  :) :)

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 07:40:37 AM »
Side by side right off the bat the JJP stands 27.25" tall vs. a 29.25" AU/2012 OTS.

The distance between the charcoal grate and cook grate is 4" on the JJP vs. 5" on the OTS.

The lid hook is connected to the daisy vent hardware, so it stays loose so the vent can function. Poor design.

The handles are secured with washer lock nuts

pics to come soon.

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
I'm starting to see these pop up on cl/seattle reasonably CHEAP.

It was predicted back in 2014 ( by Hogsy) that these cheap imported tin lizzys would end up on CL!! Stay away!!
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/22-5'-jumbo-joe-walmart-exclusive/

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »
Here are some side by side views.

This had been offered for $30 with some accessories (mini chimney, lighter fluid, chips, lighter and srubby brush) when I started this thread, over the weekend it came up for free! So parts wise, its hard to beat that deal.

Ugly Drum Smoker - here we come!