Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: jumbo joe vs go anywhere  (Read 8429 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
jumbo joe vs go anywhere
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
I used my chopped down 18" at a friends the other day and really liked it for a travel grill.  The sj just doesn't have enough room for my liking (i have one of those as well).  Only problem with my sj and chopped down 18 is that they have to be tied down when traveling and have open ash pans.  I like the lid lock feature on the JJ and GA and I think I would like cooking on the JJ because it is a kettle.  Still, I think the GA would be nicer to load and ride in a vehicle.

I'm not a collector and I don't want to pile up grills at the house so I'm planning on either the jj or ga replacing both the smokey joe and my chopped 18.

What say ye?

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: jumbo joe vs go anywhere
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »
The newer JJ has the open ash pan... not sure if you could mod it to accept an enclosed ash bucket or not.

One option you have is add an enclosed ash bucket to your chopped JJ, and an 18 lid bale system (if you can find one) to your chopped 18. Another option, is if you can find the old school Jumbo Joe (Outrider/Jumbo Joe Platinum), which has the lid lock system, and side vents.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:52:44 AM »
Thanks @Bob BQ. My problem is between the new one touch and aluminum tubing and hardware I'm up to around $50 on my chopped 18. Hind sight probably should have just ponied up for a new jj. I made an offer on the go anywhere and we will see how that goes. Still probably need a jj. I think it would be more stable and travel nicer and I could still do kettle style cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
It stinks. I think I need them all.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »
Hey Hoosier, those newer JJ's have open ash pans like Bob said. I bought a CGA not to long back and even though it would pack well, I wouldn't be cooking more than a few hamburgers or hotdogs on there. You get the picture. Not much room ya know, like the sj.
A couple bungees on your modded 18" and throw the ash pan inside and your good.
If it were me, I'd just buy a shed, that way your yard doesn't get cluttered and you can keep them inside [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »
Thanks @travis. Just the answer I was looking for. I haven't heard back on the ga yet so I might just pass on that one. The chopped 18 is really roomy and nice to cook on plus it's nice having the one touch.  Looks like bungee it is.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »
Plus I don't think I would know how to cook on something not shaped like a kettle.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
I take my 18 with me on vacation/trips ALOT! Just remove the legs and tuck it away. I'm a clean freak, so it gets shined up in between trips... no ash problems.  :)

I also have the SJ, which I have to agree, is limited on grill area. If it's just my wife and I, the SJ takes the ride. More head count, the 18 comes along.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:23:29 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »
The original JJ Platinum is the grill I've had the longest and I use it exclusively for camping, the beach, etc. The side vents don't bother me as I've never had a problem getting it hot enough to cook whatever I'm cooking. The 18.5 gives you so much more room than either of the other grills you mentioned and no ash pan is also a plus IMHO. It can be pretty windy at the beach and hot ashes blowing around is the last thing I want to worry about.
"N" code JJ Platinum
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:34:45 AM by Scott Zee »
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
The original JJ Platinum is the grill I've had the longest and I use it exclusively for camping, the beach, etc. The side vents don't bother me as I've never had a problem getting it hot enough to cook whatever I'm cooking. The 18.5 gives you so much more room than either of the other grills you mentioned and no ash pan is also a plus IMHO. It can be pretty windy at the beach and hot ashes blowing around is the last thing I want to worry about.
"N" code JJ Platinum

I wouldn't mind finding one of those. Having it enclosed would be a big plus for me too. Even with the ash pan, I tend to just dump it out in the campfire ashes anyway.
Give her a quick hose down and be on my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 10:39:45 AM »
I can't shake it.  I'm still jonesing for any jj I can get my hands on.  Would love to have one of those.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 11:15:16 AM »
@HoosierKettle   this has been on Chicago CL for a few months now. The seller is definitely firm on their price. But it is BNIB https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/5807570371.html
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
thanks, I'll have to give that some thought.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:49:55 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:10 AM »
Thanks jcnaz. I might get the lid lock and make a proper one like yours.  That looks great.

Do your legs go on and off easily?  Mine need need encouraged with a hammer and block of wood to install.