Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried this?  (Read 919 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Has anyone ever tried this?
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »
I was curious if anyone has ever tried this idea. I bought the new Weber Summit charcoal grill several months ago and got to thinking about how the smoking setup is configured on this grill with the charcoal down low and a solid plate across the hot charcoal with an air gap around the edges for heat and smoke to rise to cook the food above.

That got me to thinking about something else. I have one of them old vintage, Weber griddles from the 1970's. You know, the solid round cast iron griddle that is as big as a 22.5 cook grate with an air gap around the edges so as not to extinguish the charcoal.

I began wondering if anyone has ever used the griddle for smoking like on a Weber SCG, instead of for griddling? You load the whole bottom charcoal grate with charcoal and some wood chunks then put the round cast iron griddle in place and then put the food on a roasting rack and set the roasting rack in a disposable foil pan to catch the drippings.

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, I was just wondering how well it worked? As an added variation, maybe use a charcoal ring from a 22.5 WSM to hold the charcoal neatly together on  the lower charcoal grate?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"