Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pot roast help  (Read 1143 times)

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
Pot roast help
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:11:08 PM »
Ok my stepmother,  actually just about every older woman that I've known since birth has made great pot roast that was delicious and tender.  I can produce delicious but the tender part has been my Achilles heel.  My wife and I would love to throw it in the crock pot and forget it!  Seems every one I make is tough,
Any advice tricks secrets would be appreciated.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Pot roast help
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 02:33:07 PM »
I'm a huge fan of cooking pot roasts and beef stews using a cast iron Dutch oven paired with a snake.  It's pretty much foolproof.  After browning the meat on all sides, I use a minimal amount of liquid (usually red wine or beef stock) to ensure the meat is being braised as opposed to using too much liquid which ends up essentially boiling your meat too quickly thus becoming tough.  Basically make sure you're "braising".

If you can find it, use beef cheeks... Talk about melt-in-your-mouth-tender, beef cheeks are where it's at.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:36:24 PM by Mr.CPHo »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pot roast help
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
Not too many replies on this one.  Well I'll throw my 2 cents in I guess.  I don't use any kettles or grills for this but I suppose you could.  I flour and brown the chuck roast in a skillet.  Just a quick browning, i don't spend that much time on this step.  I cut up my vegetables, add beef broth, red wine vinegar, a packet of dry ranch dressing, and seasonings.  Add all to a 12 qt nesco set around 200 if I remember right.  At 9-10 pm it's fall apart tender.  I'm usually making this when we have night activities that require a late dinner so in summary I cook for 9 to 10 hours.  Oven and roaster with lid would work as well I'm guessing.  Haven't tried it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:33:58 PM »
My pot roast is browned in the cast iron skillet. Rub the skillet with a super thin coat of canola oil. Flour and pepper the roast. Shake off the excess and brown all sides of the meat. Into the crock pot with liquid just below half way up the meat. Add veggies and whatever else is going in. This is on low for 10-12 hours. Hasn't failed me yet, only when I try to rush it along.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
Not sure if you are looking for general help or help specific to cooking a pot roast on the grill. I've never done one on a grill, but I have done this crock pot recipe a million times and it is awesome!!!!  I've used Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and Coke.  Hell, you could probably use root beer.  I think the acid in the soda does a lot to make the meat tender.  I usually throw in carrots, onion and potatoes as well.  This does give a kind of thin gravy, so I will drain the some of the juice when its done into a pot then simmer it with some flour to thicken it up.  You could probably use two cans of soup and two packets of dry soup mix to get a thicker sauce as well.

Crock Pot Pepsi Roast

No reason this wouldn't work in a dutch oven on the grill with coals around it.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:22:38 PM »
Check out the recipes on here for Pepper Stout Beef , it uses bone in chuck roast ( best pot roast beef IMO )
and the veggies can be up to you . As you are a weber guy some smoke on the roast and a nice braise in good beer is far better then the crock pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs