Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY vortex  (Read 8816 times)

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
DIY vortex
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:47:15 AM »
Ask my metalfab/welder friend (also a grillfella)if he could make a clone. He said it actually is a bit more complicated than it appears . And how much do they go for. He said to buy one and let him know if it's worth it.

Saw this SS dog dish in my shop & got to thinking.
Well one was a bit small for my 22 and another was a bit big .Then there it was a SS mixing bowl (goodwill) Metabo off bottom & rim ( 6"cutting/grinding tool) .  Need to cut it a bit shorter because the wok nearly plugged the top shut.

I think a can make it work
Thought I'd share

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: DIY vortex
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
Good idea, let us know how it works,

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
Nice build. I saw my first vortex last week and was impressed by it's quality. It may look simple but it's worth the money due to the welding, precision cuts, and premium material.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »
Nice job...looks like a vortex to me...im gonna have to break out the air cutting tool and rip a ss bowl soon..thanks for the tip
Grills

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
nice job

i have a few vortexes here for a giveaway.
i was also impressed with their build quality. Thick material, edges are smoothed to remove sharpness, welds are nice.

I have yet to truly identify if there's any real advantage, but that will happen this week.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:48:30 AM »
All I can look at is that HUGE tub of coffee creamer....LOL
-Keith

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 08:08:44 AM »
nice job

i was also impressed with their build quality. Thick material, edges are smoothed to remove sharpness, welds are nice.

I have yet to truly identify if there's any real advantage, but that will happen this week.

Looking forward to seeing your feedback...
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »

All I can look at is that HUGE tub of coffee creamer....LOL
[/quote

Costco junkie $6

Cheers

saslanis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »
Did one with an IKEA Blanda bowl...

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 05:42:10 AM »
nice job

Troy - May I suggest that to put the matter to bed once and for all you could try a head-to-head-to-head comparison of using the Vortex, using the standard Weber charcoal baskets, and using a plain old chimney full of lump? 
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 06:00:19 AM »
Ask my metalfab/welder friend (also a grillfella)if he could make a clone. He said it actually is a bit more complicated than it appears . And how much do they go for. He said to buy one and let him know if it's worth it.

Saw this SS dog dish in my shop & got to thinking.
Well one was a bit small for my 22 and another was a bit big .Then there it was a SS mixing bowl (goodwill) Metabo off bottom & rim ( 6"cutting/grinding tool) .  Need to cut it a bit shorter because the wok nearly plugged the top shut.

I think a can make it work
Thought I'd share

I like your stihl chainsaw bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 04:14:58 AM »
I think with either the vortex or a clone, you'll enjoy the results.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 05:44:48 AM »
From this $9 stainless steel Steam table insert from Business Costco I got 2 vortex rings, one for the 18" & one for the 22".

If I wasn't armed and dangerous with a Harbor Freight 3" cut off tool, I would definitely BUY A VORTEX!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 05:58:40 AM »
My Hillbilly Vortex for the 26.75" Ranch.

Took a rustbucket 14" Smokey Joe bowl and did some trimming.

I use it mostly for indirect cooking pushed to the back, but either open or inverted it works great for high heat centered.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!