Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MOD MONTH-JJ Midi build  (Read 4511 times)

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
Re: MOD MONTH-JJ Midi build
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 08:06:43 AM »
I'm using this 16qt pot for a heat diffuser/drip pan/cooking pot. Wait till she finds out.
Strike 2

Fit is perfect, doesn't interfere with the grate.

I think it will be necessary to build a center charcoal basket and I wanted to have this versitile and to cook any type of way but I rather spend money on something else.
My wife's favorite chairs. I hate them and IMO they  are gay. Every time I go to get up and get a beer the arms reach out and try to pull my shorts off. Hate them, haven't sat in them for years.

So I cut one of them up, she found out >:(

STRIKE 3!

The jar lifter that I stole out of the canning pot works perfect as the frame for the chair back. I just removed the handles and set them aside, can't throw anything out because I might find a use for them LOL.  Notice NO sharp edges anywhere and NO ugly wires to hold it together. Cooool Huh?

The basket is 4 & 1/2 inches tall and the same diameter as the SJ grate 8).

This is how its held together NO sharp edges anywhere. The SS #10x3/4 self tappers cost $.10 ea. from walmart closeout.

Inside detail, screws ground down flat.

Another view.

Here it is sitting in the extension with the SJ grate under it. No big pieces of coal should be able to go through the bottom 8).

Stay tuned because this is a wip and I'm still working on it.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 05:01:54 PM »
Sorry, but I still can't get over the Bass Ale remains sitting next to the PBR cans.

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 08:31:24 AM »
Sorry, but I still can't get over the Bass Ale remains sitting next to the PBR cans.
I drink a lot of 16s and 24s but sometimes I drink a premium 12 oz.
Back to the build.
 A lot of smokers have a extra area for more food ( lower food grate) and I want one but I don't want and bolts through the side to hold it. I also can't make a Aluminum ring for it because if and when I want to remove the lower grate I won't be possible to get it out.
The handles I saved from the jar lifter work Perfect for a 2nd grate 8)

All I had to do is push through 2 welding rods to keep it firmly together 8).

I  decided not to cut off the parts of the handles that are sticking up and found that the lid of the stock pot fits perfect for another option for a heat diffuser/drip pan  and holds just a hair over 1qt. 8)

As you all have read about and seen the pictures of my air control system and notice the marks at 1/2 and 1/4 cock position I'm worried that if I want even less air (minimum position) a mark would not be presise and I might move my cock to far and close the ash hole :(.
I bought this for $.88 @walmart in march and it has been sitting around since I only use weber cook tools (or high end).

Cut it in half, cut the loop off, ground the end to 1/16'', curled the other end and add a weber style loop. The other half is going to be used as a coal stirrer/wood chunk mover or a mydas fly swatter.

Minimum air flow tool.

Stay tuned

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »
 I'm having big problems with photobucket crashing and wasted a lot of time so forgive me but I have to post a little and repost as not to lose everything again and again >:(
I think I need a better way to check temps rather than use the thermometer through the top.
Found this in my junk box and haved looked all over and cant find another one like it

Not sure if I will buy a

But I don't think 2 probes will go through that hole so I need to build a 2 holer
Left over piece from ring

Inside with no unnecessary protrusions over 1/8'' or ugly nuts or threads

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:06:11 PM by Poorfolks »

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 11:19:20 AM »
Probe installed to hole that cant be seen

This thing is looking pretty good but its ''not official enough'' for me so I just had to buy something because I have weberitis

Fabbed up bracket

Ground down studs for a closer fit

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 11:28:57 AM »
                           SEXY!

[Even more sexy

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 11:39:37 AM »
If this thing cooks 75% as good as it looks it's a success IMO.
I accomplished what I started to do by having this versatile, looking pretty good strong and inexpensive but it still needs a couple things. This old lid handle is bent,the loose wood/rivets transfer a lot of heat as does the small vent tab.
So I got my friends together

Much better

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
  I'm not spend more than a couple bucks for the handle so I got a brainstorm :D About 18 years ago I threw out some 6 or 7 things way out back in the woods only problem is if I can find them? So I went on a hunt. Only found 2 :(

They looked pretty bad and you can see where critters were chewing on them

After sitting in this really caustic acid  mixed with bleach and scrubbing them with a paint brush they came out like this. Oh this stuff was pretty nasty and my shorts, socks (and undershorts) got holes in them.

Cut this one out on freehand on the table saw but made it to narrow and had to widen it with the grinder. Fail to much gap now.

Didn't have enough guts or beer to try the table saw for the 2nd one so I use my  oscillating tool.
Much better

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:07:17 PM by Poorfolks »

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »
Inside of jaw cavity filled with plastic wood ,screwed through handle bracket
3 hidden screws holds perfect

Mounted, no screws showing anywhere as the lower handle filler is a tight interference fit 8)

I don't know what to call it?
 Bad to the bone?
Jawzilla?
Cowa BBQah?
Ugly JJ smoka?
Dinosaucearus?
Da boner handle?
Brontosauceus?

Anyway I hope I helped some members here.
 Oh with around 800 views some non members got a few ideas ::)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 04:15:28 AM »
@Poorfolks
This is such an entertaining thread.  Love your attention to details.  Funny as hell you are.  The Boner handle is the bomb.

NICE WORK.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 06:52:45 PM »
Man, what a story and build! Great job [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk