Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18.5 OTS Ash Sweep replacement  (Read 1522 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
18.5 OTS Ash Sweep replacement
« on: September 24, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
Here's a quick pictorial of removing the rusted remains of an original one-touch system and replacing w/ the newer 7443.

Tools used were a big flathead screwdriver, a pocket/folding mini hacksaw and a hammer. (or something to use as a hammer to whack the screwdriver).

In the case of this DE code that was left for free in front of a house, the blades were completely gone. Just the "hub" remained on the inside. On the outside were the rusted thumbscrew/nut and remaining nub of the handle:

The washer doesn't need to be removed. I lifted it to see if it was complete (sometimes they rust and split) and for photo purposes. It's good to leave it on to protect the bowl enamel from the hack saw:

Time to hack off the nub: (wait, what did he say??)

I used the screwdriver and hammer to pop off the nub, and was left with this:

Probably not necessary, but I carefully pried off the washer so that just the nut remained:

Now all you have to do is place the screwdriver on top of the nut and give it a firm whack downward and it should pass through...

...and you're left with an undamaged bowl hole. (It's good to have an undamaged bowl hole).

Follow the instructions for blade assembly. Installation is straightforward and simple. Takes less than 10 mins, even for a dummy like me:

Here's the tool that makes it a snap:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:34:41 AM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: 18.5 OTS Ash Sweep replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »
What great timing, I need to do this!  Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:12:24 PM »
Man that was ugly, nice job!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 01:49:21 AM »
Great job.  You perfectly described the way to do it!   I didnthe same to my gen1 performer.   I used my dremel n cut off wheel rather that the hack saw. 

Thanks for posting!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 04:58:32 AM »
Off the grid repair boys, off the grid!  ;)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 06:36:18 AM »
Where did you order your sweep from?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 07:13:09 AM »
@HoosierKettle Got it from Weber customer service.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 12:48:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice! Those pictures are truly worth a thousand words.  I may stop by Harbor freight on the way home.  I've been looking for an excuse to get the dremel,may even pick up one of those hand hacksaws just to have for backup.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM