Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: mbh restoration question  (Read 1427 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
mbh restoration question
« on: October 05, 2016, 06:11:11 AM »
I've read the restoration procedure but I'm uncertain on a couple things.  Do you maintain a wet edge when using the razor blade or do you do that part dry?  Also, what keeps the corners of the razor blade from digging in?  On my newer kettles (8 years old), I've used an 1.5" wide flexible metal scraper and it seemed to work well but It's roughly the same width as a razor scraper and it didn't sit flat to the bowl since the bowl is curved.  I want to clean up the mbh but don't want to risk damage.

Thanks, Sean

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: mbh restoration question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:33:06 AM »
You can use the razor dry.  I've never had any problems with the razor's edges digging in on the sides.  I've even used the scraper on the exterior of the kettle to remove duct tape residue, spray paint splatter, and even caked on tar...just be gentle on the exterior and use a brand new razor.  You should be fine.

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:30:55 AM »

+1 on the dry razor. Just make sure you keep the blade flat on the bowl. The edge can dig into the porcelain.  The first time I attempted a restoration, I got to aggressive inside the vent holes and actually did dig into the porcelain.  It was because I used the edge of the blade and did not keep the whole blade in contact with the surface of the kettle.  Never had a problem since though. Around the top 2" of the bowl, I use the razor circling the bowl. It is almost flat there. From there down I use the razor straight down motion towards the bottom bowl vents.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »
Yeah I change the attack angle based on razor contact.  I've done dry and wet...  usually wet, I rinse as I finish a section.  I haven't had to use a razor on the outside yet... I'd probably spend more time with the steel wool.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:00:08 AM »
I have had much better results with the single edge razor blades vs. the single edge knife blades. They are shorter in length, more flexible, and contour to the bowl much better. These blade will usually break before they scratch the porcelain.
May The Smoke Be With You!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 08:15:37 AM »
Thanks for all the great tips.

Yeah I got the regular razor blades and not the kind that fit a utility knife for that reason.

The lid is in great shape and should only need the steel wool.  Not sure I'll do any thing with the inside of the bowl. It's decently clean and I plan on cooking with it so it seems like a waste of time. I'll probably just clean the outside and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app