Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Its raining-might as well do some RRR!**  (Read 3023 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**Its raining-might as well do some RRR!**
« on: October 01, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
The kettle climate is getting weird in the Pacific Northwet. After seeing this Blue OTG on CL for a couple weeks I posted the linky here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/seattle-cl-buckshot-blue-otg/

since then it has made the rounds on CL, Letgo and Offerup so I gave it one last college try and slipped them another $20 lowball and now I get to RRR a Blue!

Getting started, I break it down and go over it with steel wool, then wipe it down with some lacquer thinner

all kinds of crazing and grate holder spot weld damage as well as the usual socket snaps!

My choice for this color match-

First coat/base layer. I use a brush to apply the paint into the dings. I usually give the large areas a few coats then use fine steel wool to remove the excess, so this is a few day process.

This is a "DU" 2002 OTG. The seller also has a couple other kettles on CL with the same lid rash as the Blue, which leads me to believe they set the lid up on the ground? He seemed to be proud of the turkeys he cooks on the kettles!

Might as well get the Master-Touch lid in shape while I'm at it!

Stay tuned for the transformation. Thanks for looking!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: **Its raining-might as well do some RRR!**
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
I'm Tuned and staying that way!  Looks nice.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »
Cool....looking forward to the progress.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »
This is where I learn how   8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 03:00:58 PM »
This is where I learn how   8)

Covering the rust and blending in. It will never be showroom quality, but the it makes a big difference!

One or two more layers of paint on the lid spots, I'll call it good on the bowl, it gets too hot and the paint will turn black over time.

To be continued.......
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:46:29 PM »
Nice!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
What kind of paint are you using on that red master touch?  I didn't know you could do anything but spray with the high heat engine paint. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 02:59:55 PM »
What kind of paint are you using on that red master touch?  I didn't know you could do anything but spray with the high heat engine paint.

The same brand of paint I'm using on the Blues.

Dupli-Color RED #1653 has been the best match. I used to mask off and spray the affected areas, but have found it easier to use a brush. Just spray some in a cup and dab away!

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
looking nice swamprb
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 08:27:53 AM »
same brand for a yellow? Or a brand you would suggest?
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »
same brand for a yellow? Or a brand you would suggest?

I've never done an ol' yeller, but I'd definitely give it a shot on the lid, be warned it will discolor and turn black on a bowl.

Greenies are hard to match, the Robins Egg Blues would be a tough one as well.