Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking with sassafras  (Read 1239 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Cooking with sassafras
« on: September 28, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »
Feeding off @Lumpwood's thread looking for advise on smoking woods, I noticed @DirectDrives chart and noticed sassafras wasn't mentioned.

So, while my family was camping a week or so back we stopped to buy some camp wood. They also had bundles of cherry, pear, and sassafras. Ive got plenty of cherry and pear so I bought a bundle of the sassafras splits. I've never cooked with it before. Actually, I've never even heard of it. I googled it a little and some people swear by it and others don't. I'm wondering if anyone here has cooked with this before and thoughts if any.

Thanks fella's

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cooking with sassafras
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »
I was going to just make a stupid remark, lol, but now I'm interested... I only thought sassafras was a drink like root beer. [emoji12]

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »
I was going to just make a stupid remark, lol, but now I'm interested... I only thought sassafras was a drink like root beer. [emoji12]

I read that. Roots and leaves being used for root beer and tea. I don't know man. Root beer and smoking meat. Two of my favorite things...Can't be too bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »
I have some Sassafras pellets, but haven't used them yet.

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »
I also have some pellets from BBq Delight, it has an mildly sweet smoke that works well with pork and chicken.
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!