Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Carne Asada Question  (Read 5273 times)

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Carne Asada Question
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »
Thanks @varekai.   I picked up some skirt steaks.  What do you recommend as far as marinades/rubs/etc.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
this is what I use, the red seasoning is for beef and the yellow is for chicken, the tall bottles are liquids I use for both meats. I use just enough of the mojo to get the meat good and wet, no really floating in it, the bitter orange maybe just a shot of it. The guy at the Mexican market where I buy my meat says it what they use, my Mexican friends at work said to go easy on the orange one... I haven't really measured, I just "eyeball" it...lol, as far as the seasoning goes, a few good shakes into the bag with the meat and liquid is what I do. This is usually for a couple pounds of meat mind you.. Do it once and adjust as you like it. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 12:42:25 PM »
here's a better picture   Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
Thanks @varekai, I will look for that.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Mayday981

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 12:53:31 AM »

here's a better picture   Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr

Hi Varekai, thanks for your information on the marinade. I was wondering do you use any marinade for Al Pastor? Also, what type of pork meat do you use? I was looking at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLsDOqcSmFE and they said they used pork cushion meat. I haven't seen that at the groceries here in Los Angeles, but I was wondering if you used a different type of meat. I do have a rotisserie so I want to try and put it on there.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
@Mayday981 , I wish they would just pick one universal name for meat cuts and stick with it, Gee Wiz. Any how, I personally have not done al pastor yet but is something i'm working on in the near future. Now, someone correct me if i'm wrong but I believe a "cushion" is damn near the same as a "shoulder" which is also close to being a "butt". I have seen meat labeled "cushion", not sure if it was in costco or smart and final, but either way you want to slice thin and stack on your spit rod. I know this much because I asked my coworker, who's mexican, if there was a way to buy the meat already stacked like it is and put a rod through it, SHE LAUGHED!! She said shoulder meat would work fine. as far as a marinade goes, I just watched this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHPtSB4ats  and even though it's in spanish, I think one could get the jist of ingredients. Looks like WE have a project to work on!!...lol  GOOD LUCK!

Mayday981

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
@Mayday981 , I wish they would just pick one universal name for meat cuts and stick with it, Gee Wiz. Any how, I personally have not done al pastor yet but is something i'm working on in the near future. Now, someone correct me if i'm wrong but I believe a "cushion" is damn near the same as a "shoulder" which is also close to being a "butt". I have seen meat labeled "cushion", not sure if it was in costco or smart and final, but either way you want to slice thin and stack on your spit rod. I know this much because I asked my coworker, who's mexican, if there was a way to buy the meat already stacked like it is and put a rod through it, SHE LAUGHED!! She said shoulder meat would work fine. as far as a marinade goes, I just watched this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHPtSB4ats  and even though it's in spanish, I think one could get the jist of ingredients. Looks like WE have a project to work on!!...lol  GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Varekai! I appreciate your help. I will stop by my local Costco to check it out or I'll just see if the butcher at the grocer will help me cut it thin.

chris_vazquez1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »
Best carne asada / pollo al carbon marinade:

- Whole peeled garlic cloves
- Salt
- Pepper
- Jugo Maggi https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maggi-Jugo-Seasoning-Sauce-3.38-oz-Pack-of-24/17768519
- Juice from 1 whole orange
- Juice from 1 whole lime
- Dried chile de arbol for taste. Doesn't need to make everything overly spicy. (You can substitute cayenne).
- OPTIONAL achiote. Gives the meat a red hue.

TIPS: Blend this concoction and marinade at least 2 hours. No more than 24 because of high acid content. Blending the mixture works wonders. Wood fire or mesquite lump will give you the most authentic flavor.

For beef cook over very high heat. At least 450F. The popular Mexican cuts are skirt and chuck. The cuts should be lean. These cuts are very sensitive to overcooking.

For chicken keep some of the marinade on the side to marinade while cooking. Chicken should be spatchcocked with skin on. Cornish game hens are popular in central / southern Mexican grills.