Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs - end high heat using snake?  (Read 2450 times)

choynes

• Smokey Joe
Ribs - end high heat using snake?
« on: September 04, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »
I've successfully smoked ribs a few times with my 22.5" using the snake - however: I like to baste on the BBQ sauce at the end with higher heat, constantly turning the ribs, basting, until they have a heavy thick carmelizing coating.

Using the snake I don't have that heat. The problem is the grill is only running at 200-250 at the end, as it was all day. Last time it turned into an ordeal - I had to remove the ribs, take off the grate, take out the pan of water (hoping I wouldn't spill fatty dripping water all over the place) - add more coals, and wait for the heat to come up enough.

Can ribs be smoked with the baskets? Maybe add alot of coals at the end to the baskets using only the hinged edges of the grill to load?

Or does anybody know of another way that doesn't entail removing ribs/grate/water pans?

/r
Chip

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ribs - end high heat using snake?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
I don't have one yet but it sounds like a job for the slow n sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

OmarHaltam

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
I would suggest putting some coals in the chimney, and do what you did except pour the red hot coals I. the grill and spread them to do your final hot sear [emoji1303]

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:59:22 AM »
@choynes

Here's a possibility.....just lift out the grate, meat & all, dump or place the extra coals needed & set back in.....

I do it pretty often to set in bean pans that only go for the last 1/3 of the cook normally...

Baskets might be another good way, as they'll concentrate the heat you want late in the cook.....just, for me, haven't had the best results using them throughout the cook.....you might be able to set in a half-full basket at the start (using snake for or the main cook), then pull the grate/meat & add some lit coal on top of the basket......that may get you up to hot soon enough.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:57:58 AM »
If you have a hinged cooking grate you can just add some coals to your snake and leave the lid off for 10-15 minutes to get the new coals going then put your ribs back on.  I suppose you could leave the ribs on the entire time now that I think about it.  I've done this several times and it works good.  You don't necessarily need a super hot fire just enough coals so you can put the entire rack over direct heat.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

choynes

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »
Mike, that sounds like the simplest answer and I prolly should have thought of that before posting. Just wanted to see if there were any new ideas to this out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
@choynes -  If you get your snake down really well you can also make your snake get bigger at the end so at the time you need more heat it is already getting hotter.  That takes some really OCD snake building though!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

choynes

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
Resurrecting this thread - is there a way to do this on the new SCG? Ribs again and this time I just pulled the water tray to o e side of the hinged grate and dumped in a prelit chimney of approx 15 briquettes. Had to keep rotating the rib racks as I basted them, worked ok. Just wondering with all the fandangles on the new SCG if this issue has an addressed solution engineered into it.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
The SCG isn't meant to use the minion method, with coals across the whole charcoal grate and the diffuser in place. Different beast.
Still need a 22” yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 05:24:07 AM »

The SCG isn't meant to use the minion method, with coals across the whole charcoal grate and the diffuser in place. Different beast.

I agree with @thedude. Couldn't you just remove the diffuser and cook direct when it's time for saucing?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP