Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Have I ruined my food?  (Read 2409 times)

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
Have I ruined my food?
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
Hey guys. A little worried. Started a Pork Butt cook last night and normally have enough fuel to see it through till its done. This time though I was adding a pork belly in the morning. So, knowing it would need to run for another 8 hours or so I added half a bag of kingsford briquettes. Well, it smoked quite a lot for about half an hour I guess while the briquettes were lighting. Didn't smell so good. Will I have ruined the butt and belly in the process? Got a load of people coming for dinner and so worried I've killed it 😬
Weber 22" Performer Touch-N-Go, Master-Touch 22" Ivory Special Edition, Smokey Mountain Cooker 22", Genesis EP-320 Blue, Jumbo Joe, Gas-Go-Anywhere... oh... and a Traeger Texas Elite Pellet-pooper.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Have I ruined my food?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »
IDK as I've never used KBB. There are some other posts now regarding KBB and Stubb's. Some say the KBB smoke smells and tastes bad and some say it doesn't. Sample the food and post what it tastes like.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:06:23 AM »
It'll be fine.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:24:02 AM »
@macmanjpc- I cook turkeys on the Weber Kettle all the time using Kingsford briquettes. It requires adding more briquettes each hour of the cook.  I just dump them in unlit on top of the lit coals. They do smoke while lighting but it gives the turkey a wonderful mild smokey flavor. Turkey is much more susceptible to smoke than pork.   Your Pork Butt should be fine.  Enjoy.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 07:35:16 AM »
Whew! Thanks for the reassurance guys.
Weber 22" Performer Touch-N-Go, Master-Touch 22" Ivory Special Edition, Smokey Mountain Cooker 22", Genesis EP-320 Blue, Jumbo Joe, Gas-Go-Anywhere... oh... and a Traeger Texas Elite Pellet-pooper.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 08:03:02 AM »
I hate the smell of KBB, however it doesn't negatively affect food flavor like you'd think it would

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
Well, you were right. Food all turned out fabulous! Probably the best pulled pork I've made actually! Took 17 hrs to finish. Crazy! The belly took 6 and melted in your mouth. Was a super crazy weekend of BBQ. Cheers.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
I must be the only oone whowho ddoesn't  mind the smell of kbb? 
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!