Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First go at a venison backstrap  (Read 852 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First go at a venison backstrap
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »
A buddy from work gave me a backstrap from a kill he got last season. Trying to clear out the freezer to make room for the upcoming season. I've never cooked one so I decided to butterfly it, stuff with sautéed onions, peppers, mushrooms, mozzarella and parsley (because it needed to get used), then seasoned outside with Weber's steak seasoning.

The smaller end of the strap was cut into medallions, wrapped in bacon with the left over stuffing.

The roast went on a spit with medium high heat with a chunk of hickory. I set the timer for 30 minutes, but check it in 25 and it read 150! Yikes! Luckily the stuffing and roti "self basting" kept it moist, but it was overdone for my liking.

While that rested, I took of the roti and put on the craycorts. Opened up the vents fully and cooked the medallions over direct high heat. Pulled them off at 125. A little more like it.
Had some hobo packs on the 18" as always. Didn't get any picks though.

All in all, good cook. Flavors were there for the meat, just overdid the roast on the ends, anyways.

Have a good one fella's!

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: First go at a venison backstrap
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
That looks tasty. You have a good friend....

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
Interesting. Looks good

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »
It's actually very good. It has its own flavor and is extremely lean so other flavors are needed. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk