Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me gasser  (Read 2819 times)

RumBar

• WKC Brave
New to me gasser
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
Just picked this up from a CL posting. I don't have any of my own picks yet as it's still stuffed in the back of my Jeep. The add says it needs burners, flavorizer bars and an igniter but as I disassembled it for transport it looks like all I'll need is an igniter. Fingers crossed at least. It is missing the bottom rack though, if anyone has a spare rack please let me know!
This will actually be for my wife, there are a few things she likes to grill herself but would rather use a gasser when I'm not around to help with the charcoal. Planning a mild restore and then giving it to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New to me gasser
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »
good looking gasser right there
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

RumBar

• WKC Brave
New to me gasser
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:17:39 AM »
Finally got it unloaded and took some pics. Maybe someone can review the pics for me to see if I'm missing anything besides the bottom accessory rack for the cart which I just bought one off of eBay. Looks like the flavor bars are stainless? Not sure about the grates but both the bars and grates look solid. The frame does have a couple rust spots which I'll fix.
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:08:41 AM by RumBar »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »
Looks good to me. You will want to put in a new crossover tube
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'll get one ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
That's a nice silver B from around 2000ish.   There should be a label/tag on the right hand side that should have the model and serial #.   From that, we can pinpoint the exact year.   Might have to lift off the control panel to see the sticker.

Bars are stainless and it looks like the grates are as well.   Both appear to be solid and just in need of a good cleaning.    For the burner tubes, give them a good brushing with a steel wire brush then fire it up and check the flame pattern.  You might need to clean a few holes out individually with a small wire or one of those small screwdrivers like they use for eyeglasses.

The plastic sidetables usually clean up nicely with some Dawn detergent and a ScotchBrite pad. 

Since you have some rust to deal with, you'll probably be looking at pulling the firebox.   There's a bolt coming through the left hand cross member and the nut is inside the firebox.   That one gives people fits now and then.   Just do what you need to do to remove it then replace later with a stainless steel one.    You'll need to remove a few screws on the right hand side to lift off the control panel and expose the manifold.   You'll find two wingnuts holding the manifold the the firebox.  Remove those and slide the manifold out.   Slide the burner tubes out next and the firebox will lift right out.

From there, you can see if the firebox can be cleaned and then painted, or you might need to try and strip the coating then paint.   Inside of the firebox definitely needs some attention.    Best method I have found short of media blasting is to use a 4 (or 4.5) inch angle grinder.    If you don't have one, they have some for $0 and $15 at Harbor Freight.

For paint, go with Rustoleum High heat and High heat Ultra.   High heat is flat black, Ultra is a semigloss.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
@demosthenes9, fantastic info! Thank you so much. I haven't had a chance to start working on it yet, too flipping cold here in northern Indiana. I'll post progress pics when I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 05:26:06 AM »
Are these stand offs supposed to attach to anything? The wing nuts and hardware are tight but the whole manifold piece just flops around. I don't see any holes to secure the hardware to.
Thanks in advance.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
They should be tight. There should also be a support hook or strap that hangs down under the control panel and hooks under manifold tube assembly between the knobs. This supports manifold when the knobs are pushed down.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
Thanks! I'll look for the support hook.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:15 AM »
If you do not have the support to hold it up they have them at ereplacementparts.com for around $6. I just stopped at Weber yesterday and got one for my Genesis 1 for $5.50 thanks for reminding me that I needed to get one still. 👍

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »
Love the blue. Congratulations enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app