Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How long to cook ribs  (Read 1453 times)

Bross1987

• Smokey Joe
How long to cook ribs
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »
Hey everyone,  I'm looking for some advice. I'm planning on cooking up 4 slabs of ribs Saturday. What do you guys think would be the best method to use?  I'll have about 6-7 hours to cook them. Should I set up a charcoal snake for smoking? I'd like to hear what you guys think. Thanks.
Also I'll be using a 22" kettle.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: How long to cook ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 03:43:30 PM »
Spares or baby backs?

I always use the snake method for ribs. With 4 slabs, you'll need a rib rack on a 22".

BBQ time is not the same thing as what we think of as standard time - it's much more variable.  BBQ is done when it's done, not after a set amount of standard time.

Much will depend on the temperature of your cook (250 deg is a nice round number), whether you foil or not (I don't), etc.and other factors.

If I were doing four slabs, I'd take each off at 20 minute intervals to see how they differ...

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
How long to cook ribs
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
You'll definitely need a rib rack if using one kettles.
Spares take longer than baby backs.
My thought if I was doing four racks I don't think I would use the snake method, although it does work wonders once I finally was advised by the grillfella's here how to properly do it.   

I would bank the coals on both side, shooting for 250 to 275 and rotate the ribs maybe every hour or so when you have the lid off to spritz them.

I wrap mine after 2 to 3 hours (depending on which ones I'm cooking) once I've got the color I want and check them at the one hour then at 1 1/2 hour. Foiling too long will overcook them, and I prefer a "over cooked" rib, but not too far gone.

Hey good luck! Remember what you did and how you might do it next time. Let us know!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:34:19 PM by Travis »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
On a 22.5" I usually do two loin backs flat.
If I had to do 4, I would probably roll them and hold with a bamboo skewer.

My favorite way is Memphis style where no wrapping is required.
If you have sauce lovers, just sauce at the end of the cook.
Go to howtobbqright.com and watch Malcolm's 11 minute video.....everything is there.

Here's how I set up for a 5+ hour burn.
(light 16 briquettes and place 8 each on opposite ends of the baskets....

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:16:00 PM by DirectDrive »

Bross1987

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:32:03 PM »
I have a rib rack I'll be using. Thanks for the advice on when to put the sauce on, I probably would have put it on too early. I think I will do 2 with a rub and 2 with a sauce. 2 of us like the rub and the other 2 like rub.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »
I have a rib rack I'll be using. Thanks for the advice on when to put the sauce on, I probably would have put it on too early. I think I will do 2 with a rub and 2 with a sauce. 2 of us like the rub and the other 2 like rub.
Malcolm shows how to make the mopping sauce which you must do once each hour to maintain moisture.
Or you can spritz with apple juice instead of the mopping sauce each hour.

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »
Right, quick question. Why is banking both sides more preferable to say a snake or a SNS, which is theoretically banked to one side only (and which is the method I use)?

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »
Right, quick question. Why is banking both sides more preferable to say a snake or a SNS, which is theoretically banked to one side only (and which is the method I use)?
Probably not much difference in performance.
I like the baskets because they pretty much eliminate any risk of popping any porcelain off the side of the kettle.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »

Probably not much difference in performance.
I like the baskets because they pretty much eliminate any risk of popping any porcelain off the side of the kettle.

I was just researching this and reading some old WKC posts about this topic. I think I'll always use baskets from now on also.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
Only thing I would wonder is if the snake method would really be hot enough to damage the bowl. I'm thinking most of the damage would come from high heat cooks where coals were banked. 2 zone cooking.

Also, I can't find the thread, but if using a 26r, some fella's have tacked, bolted or wire tied expanded metal to the coal grate to keep the coals from the bowl.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:34:31 PM by DirectDrive »