Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Soaking wood  (Read 2799 times)

walshman

• Smokey Joe
Soaking wood
« on: July 23, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »
Hi people. First post so go easy please. I'm putting together my new master touch today and going to experiment with some cherry wood I'm expecting from amazon. Is it best to soak the wood first or shall I put it on the charcoal dry?
Thanks

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Soaking wood
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 07:51:38 PM »
I wouldn't waste my time with soaking. What kind of cook are you doing? Grilling or smoking?

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
Are they chunks? If so put them in dry next to but not directly in the burning coals. If you are doing an indirect cook then the other option is to put the chunks on the cooking grate directly above the burning coals.

If the wood is too close to the fire and/or you are taking the lid off a lot the wood will ignite and not smolder/smoke. Putting the lid back on should kill that flame but just be aware of that.

Good luck and take notes (even if they are mental) so that with each cook you develop a new understanding and an increased level of confidence.

Cheers -

- Keep it simple stupid -
Keep it simple stupid

walshman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 08:26:57 PM »
What kind of cook are you doing? Grilling or smoking?
A little of both if that's possible?

MFBinNH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 04:29:25 AM »
this should help....greatest info site ( besides this one) out there....http://amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 06:03:46 AM »
IMHO, soaking smokewood is an Old Wive's Tale that keeps coming around.
Good luck with your new MT and welcome to the forum !

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »
Chunks - no soak

Chips - soak. Just so they don't ignite too quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

walshman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Well pleased with my first BBQ with lid. I'll post pictures tomorrow evening :)

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »
What @Travis said :-)

bigdaddyII

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 05:22:41 AM »
I've only ever used chips prior to my current Weber. I used to soak them and read somewhere it doesn't matter so I quit soaking them. Never noticed a difference, I always put them directly on the coals and haven't had any catch fire. I've had a few pieces of apple and hickory catch fire but it went out when the lid was replaced.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 05:01:28 AM »
Before I went "hardcore" charcoal, I used to use a smoke box for my Gasser (May you rest in peace), I soaked the chips.  Got smoke, just not the degree of smoke flavor and ring that I preferred.  Only Chucks for me. Dry Dry DRY!!!  SO yes... "What Travis Said"..

TIA

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna