Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken Tikka and Babaganouj  (Read 1556 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Chicken Tikka and Babaganouj
« on: July 26, 2016, 06:02:29 AM »
Because I get so much great inspiration and cooking techniques from this forum, thought I'd reciprocate with a couple of my own, although a bit unconventional. 

Chicken Tikka:
Removed skin from thighs and made slits for more marinade penetration.  The marinade is made of puréed onions, garlic, fresh chilies, and ginger, cumin, salt, saffron, a touch of oil and yogurt.  Marinated overnight.

Grilled on CI grates over high heat and "basted" in the marinade after each flip, that way I get the char, but still retain juiciness. 
You can see in the pics I simultaneously had the marinade cooking in a CI pan on the side, into which I coated the chicken and then returned to cook on the grates.

Yes, "tikka" is supposed to be cubed on skewers, but I was working with whatever I pulled out of the freezer, in this case thighs.  I also skipped the red food coloring.

Babaganouj is similar to hummus, except made with roasted eggplants... The perfect 1st cook for my newly acquired JJ!!

After the eggplants cool, remove the skin, and blend the flesh with minced garlic, tahini (sesame paste), olive oil, salt, and lemon juice. 

I love cooking on my Webers because it makes everything tastes great, minimal cleanup, and.... well... men belong outside cooking meat over a flame. 

Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: Chicken Tikka and Babaganouj
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:55:17 AM »
The chicken looks stellar , what do you do with the eggplants , eat them like that or make a dip ?

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »
That all looks fantastic! Did you serve the babaganouj with the chicken?
Growing family = growing kettles!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
The chicken looks stellar , what do you do with the eggplants , eat them like that or make a dip ?

Thanks!  The chicken turned out better than I could ever have hoped. I make a dip out of the eggplant flesh using the aforementioned ingredients and then chilled overnight to eat with toasted pita bread. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
That all looks fantastic! Did you serve the babaganouj with the chicken?
Yes, I did.  They balance each other quite well.  The chicken is hot/spicy/crispy.  The babaganouj is cold/tangy/smooth.  Wrap a little of both in warm pita bread and SHAZZAM, heaven! 

Thanks for taking an interest!   

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
This is what the babaganouj looks like after peeling the skin off and whipping in the ingredients.  You can use the back of a spoon to make an indentation in the middle for more olive oil and then arrange a circle of halved kalamatta olives around, but my family's a pack of ravenous wolves who could care less about presentation.  LOL. 

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 09:20:02 AM »
If you don't mind could you post the measurements for the other ingredients ? How much of each item per eggplant ,or just the basic recipe

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Chicken Tikka and Babaganouj
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 09:30:33 AM »
If you don't mind could you post the measurements for the other ingredients ? How much of each item per eggplant ,or just the basic recipe

I used the following recipe as a template, but increased the amount of garlic to suit our personal preference.  I also saved the pan drippings to re-incorporate into the finished product.  A word of caution, the flavors will meld and change slightly after chilling.  I found I had to add more salt after tasting cold.  Good luck with this recipe!  Very easy and very healthy.

www.food.com/recipe/baba-ganoush-the-best-in-the-world-67570

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:34:07 AM by Mr.CPHo »

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 09:32:26 AM »
Raising the bar, Sir!  Outstanding!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
Awesome creative cook, very cool!
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "