Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Independence Day Cook: Tri-Tip & Wings  (Read 1402 times)

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
Independence Day Cook: Tri-Tip & Wings
« on: July 03, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
I'm starting this thread preemptively since I usually forget about chronicling my cooks for social media. I've been cooking on a Weber since college but I've never photographed the experience for posterity.

I picked up two tri-tip roasts today. One is locally sourced, grass fed, chemical free and the other is probably loaded with more steroids than Barry Bonds in 2001. Both roasts will get the same kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and granulated garlic treatment and will be given a few hours to drink in the rub. The plan is to go 220-240°F using a 2x2 snake and apple wood until the internal temperature reaches 120-125. Then I'll rest for 15-30 minutes while I fire up the vortex for some reverse searing action.

The other grill (a nice crimson parts build) will be vortexing whole wings because I'm too lazy to butcher them into wings and drummies. My brother has some sauce from some BBQ/Soul Food joint in NOLA he hit up while on business. They'll all get a to-be-determined rub (probably tatonka dust) and we'll sauce a few of them. I'm not a sauce guy but I'll give it a shot.

Depending on the number of beers I have–I'm from Milwaukee, the number will likely be high–I might even get around to posting pics.

Happy Independence Day. Have fun and stay safe.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Independence Day Cook: Tri-Tip & Wings
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 11:05:47 PM »
You sir, are my kind of grillfella! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HmrHed

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:43:20 AM »
Pictures?

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »
I haven't forgotten about this. I can't get WKC to load on my laptop.

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
I haven't been able to get WKC to load on anything hooked up to my home WiFi. Other websites load just fine, though.

The Two Grills

Forgot to take a picture of the wings until it was almost too late.

Tri-Tip going on. Didn't need half of the fuel. Ran out of chunk smoke wood.

Reverse seared for some nice char.
[/url]

Money shot. Almost forgot again.
[/url]

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:23:34 PM »
There was a noticeable difference in taste between the grass fed, natural roast and the Barry Bonds roast. The chemical laden roast tasted more like the rub (SPG) than the grass fed roast which tasted like beef that had been seasoned by the rub. Both were exceptionally tasty, but I'd definitely buy the grass fed again for this application.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 06:31:45 AM »
There was a noticeable difference in taste between the grass fed, natural roast and the Barry Bonds roast. The chemical laden roast tasted more like the rub (SPG) than the grass fed roast which tasted like beef that had been seasoned by the rub. Both were exceptionally tasty, but I'd definitely buy the grass fed again for this application.
Good to know. I love tri tip. I'll have to look around for some non Barry Bonds brand... Too funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk