Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Recent cooks  (Read 2238 times)

RadRacer

• Smokey Joe
Recent cooks
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:18:27 AM »
Well, I've had my kettle for almost 2 months now, and have cooked burger, dogs, chicken, steaks, etc on it. Here's some of my more recent cooks:

BBQ smoked chicken breast:

This was my first attempt at smoking, and I went way too heavy with it. Smoke flavor so intense I had to cover it up with a sauce[emoji15] . Live and learn. That chicken was the juiciest chicken I've ever had though!

Grilled Pork Should blade steaks:

I already removed mine by the time I took the pic. A little salt and pepper and on the grill they went. Complimented by some potatoes as well [emoji4]

Publix apparently has their pork on sale at the moment, and I've been dying to do some longer cooks, so the girlfriend brought home a 3.4lb Pork shoulder for me. This is my first try at a long cook; I'm using the snake method with a "drip pan" full of water. It has some drippings from the pork steaks we had last night.

We'll see how it goes!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Recent cooks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »
I've been grilling for maybe 10 yrs now and have screwed up so much it's unbelievable! You look like your doing a great job, bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 07:36:09 AM »
I've messed up a lot,still trying to get chicken right. That's how we learn. It's an art and a passion. What sets us apart is with stay with it. Thanks for sharing.

RadRacer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »
Over cooked the pork. At 5hrs I put some BBQ on it. Pulled it after 6. Cut it up and it was pretty tough. Pretty sure that means over cooked, but I'm no expert. My thermometer died, and it's looking like I need a replacement ASAP [emoji17]

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »
Maverick ET-732
(or 733, 735)
732 minimum.
I'm sitting here having a beer and I can see that my kettle is at 217° and my internal temp (Tri-Tip) is at 72°.
The Mav makes it easy.

Get the Mav.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:43:41 AM by DirectDrive »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
Sounds undercooked. 6 hours would be a pretty fast pork butt. At 205° IT, a probe should slide into it like a hot knife through butter.
Still need a 22” yellow

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 04:13:47 PM »
Sounds undercooked. 6 hours would be a pretty fast pork butt. At 205° IT, a probe should slide into it like a hot knife through butter.
Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

RadRacer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »
Even for a smallish one. 3lbs, so it's not huge.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Recent cooks
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »
Even for a smallish one. 3lbs, so it's not huge.

Yes, it was still cooking. If you don't want to blow the money on a digital yet, which you should, you can buy a oven thermo. and sit it on the grate. That will get you off to a good start.

I went for a long time with just using that and to this day don't use digi's for every cook. Those oven thermo's will work. Are there better things out there? Sure, but it will work.

The secret to smoking any meat no matter how big or small is steady temps and time. I bet your pork shoulder was in the "stall" phase. That's were it gets to a certain internal temperature, normally 150-160ish and stays there for a while. I've had butts stall for hours. Keeping your temp steady will help it push through the stall.

To make pulled pork you are actually way over cooking the meat. Youre taking it to around 200 so all the fat, connective tissue and fibers break down and it just falls apart.

You tube it. Lots of great videos out there. Honestly it's nice to have all the cool thermos, but practice will take you further.

I've talked too much again. Have a great Independence Day men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:25:36 PM by Travis »

RadRacer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 06:42:29 AM »
Thinking of stopping by home depot later. They have the weber 6492 instant read thermo for $10, and see if I can pick up a cheap oven thermo for the grate. Won't be as nice as the digital I had, but should work well