Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got enough "donors" to make 1 nice Frankengasser Genesis...  (Read 4758 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
So the plan is to pull bits and pieces from these 3 to make 1 nice and completely working grill. I like the wood slats, I like the blue and the side burner would be cool to have. So I'm hoping to take the blue shell and sandwich it between the ends of the wood handled style, burn tubes from one are in great shape side burner from another is in better condition than the other and so on.. If there are any parts that someone sees and wants, let me know, if its an extra part you can have it for the cost of shipping...let the mayhem begin! It will be ALIVE soon, i hope.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157669675666812/with/27644723490/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Finally got enough "donors" to make 1 nice Frankengasser Genesis...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
Sounds like a good plant to me. I can't wait to see the final rig.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:10:45 PM »
Its how I roll!

Keep us posted on the progress!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Finally got enough "donors" to make 1 nice Frankengasser Genesis...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
So tonight I get home from work at 6 and it's 106 degrees out, but oddly a tolerable 106. So I thought, I'll start doing a little on my project.. Well a little turned into quite a bit... Everything was cruising along so smooth, nuts coming free, nothing stripping or breaking.. I did this for about an hour and a half, girl friend text me she was headed back home and that was my queue to light the coals, we cooking hamburgers. Coals are in the chimney, patties are made and "Ding" I get an email, I look at it, it's an alert from Craigslist for a Weber. It's a red "H" 45 minutes away for $25... Uh, honey, as soon as I'm done eating I'm going to San Luis, she doesn't even ask "why" anymore... So, I will have pics of what I got tore apart for my frankengasser tomorrow and pics of my new redhead... The bbq gods were with me today!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:16:36 PM by varekai »
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
Keep us posted. Really digging that blue lid from your flickr pix.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

varekai

• WKC Ranger
I updated my album with some new pics, if I'm not posting or updating correctly someone please let me know..any way, the carnage has started and there are now just shells of what was once a gas bbq's... In tearing down, I realized I have a set of stainless grates!!..YAY ME!...I also ended up with 8 out of 9 good burners. Thinking about putting all 8 into one fire box and just making one badass searing machine..lol.  I have a question though, I have 2 fire boxes, a 5 bar flavorizer and 13 bar, which would you use and why? I'm thinking the 13 but want to hear some input from others. Will get pics of my new red head up tonight also.. Thanks.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:07:15 PM »
Great work. It sounds like Paso is the land of plenty right now.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
@Jon, there are quite a few, but nothing "special"... All blacks. This red and actually my red ssp were flukes I think.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
... I have a question though, I have 2 fire boxes, a 5 bar flavorizer and 13 bar, which would you use and why? I'm thinking the 13 but want to hear some input from others. Will get pics of my new red head up tonight also.. Thanks.

The 13 bar is a Genesis cook box. The extra bars offer more resistance to flareups. The 5 bar would be from a 900 or some other "almost-a-Genesis" model.

I've never really cooked on either, so can't comment on how much better the 13 bar might perform. Genesis models also would have come with other differences, that additionally made them "a Genesis."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
Thanks ATS, thats kinda what i was thinking, also more heat retention/radiation from the 13 bars? not sure but sounds good..LOL

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
... I have a question though, I have 2 fire boxes, a 5 bar flavorizer and 13 bar, which would you use and why? I'm thinking the 13 but want to hear some input from others. Will get pics of my new red head up tonight also.. Thanks.

The 13 bar is a Genesis cook box. The extra bars offer more resistance to flareups. The 5 bar would be from a 900 or some other "almost-a-Genesis" model.

I've never really cooked on either, so can't comment on how much better the 13 bar might perform. Genesis models also would have come with other differences, that additionally made them "a Genesis."

Genesis grills could be either 13 or 5, depending on the age.   Genny 1-5's and Genny 1000-5000's had 13 bars.  The third generation, Genny A/B/C  Gold/Silver/Platinum switched to 5 bars.    Many who have them say that the 13 bar setup gives much more even heat and is better at reducing flareups.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
Thank you demosthenes9,  I have now decided to go with the 13, both of you have just reinforced what I was thinking...$110, I helped a metal shop move their heavy equipment (breaks and shears) so they owe me, gonna see if the can bend me a set, for cheap!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
Before you go out and get any parts, I'd make sure that everything is going to fit together like you want it to.    At first glance, your three grills look almost alike.  But if you look, the firebox on the blue one in the first pic is a bit smaller.    Honestly, I'm not sure which parts are interchangeable.    Will the entire lid from the blue one fit correctly on the deeper firebox ?  If not, can you take apart the lid of the blue one and match the blue shroud up with the side panels from the other lid ?  yada, yada, yada.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
Also, with regards to the metal shop, you can get some nice bars from a guy named RCPlanebuyer on Ebay for $72.95 shipped. His are thicker gauge (16)  than Weber OEM bars  and are the same 304 stainless.   Keep that in mind when working out a trade out with the metal shop. 

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »
Before you go out and get any parts, I'd make sure that everything is going to fit together like you want it to.    At first glance, your three grills look almost alike.  But if you look, the firebox on the blue one in the first pic is a bit smaller.    Honestly, I'm not sure which parts are interchangeable.    Will the entire lid from the blue one fit correctly on the deeper firebox ?  If not, can you take apart the lid of the blue one and match the blue shroud up with the side panels from the other lid ?  yada, yada, yada.

I did a quick cursory measure before I started and I do believe it will all go together, I have removed the blue shroud, it was the color I wanted, from the sides it came with and dismantled another lid because it had the sides for the wood handle, thats the handle style I want. I 'm going to swap some frame pieces from the 2 larger grills.. I'm hoping to get the sandblaster out this weekend and blast the sides and firebox that I have chose to use.