Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Door Latch Fail  (Read 4508 times)

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Door Latch Fail
« on: October 03, 2016, 06:13:06 PM »
The latch on my 14" WSM is a piece of sh!t. The handle just turns freely and the latch doesn't really move. I tried tightening it and it still doesn't work. My last cook, I walked outside and noticed it laying on the ground and my temp was out of control. Today, I tried messing with it more and still couldn't get it to latch, so in a pinch, I duck taped the door on. The duck tape actually worked good for today's cook. Anyone else have their latch fail on their WSM? Suggestions?
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Door Latch Fail
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 07:34:18 PM »
All of the WSM door latches are a POS. The brass ferrule inside the handle itself fails (usually from over tightening) Call Weber and get a replacement and it will eventually fail as well.
A lot of people are buying and installing the Southco compression latches from Cajun Bandit or online sources. Personally the whole door and opening on the bullet is shit!

Here is a DIY thats been floating around for a few years that looks like the original and fairly cheap and simple to do.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?41871-22-5-Door-Handle-Fix&p=727057#post727057
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
Don't buy new. I have an 18.5" and 14.5 with the round knobs. Both are fine. Just tough to know where the latch is.
Still need a 22” yellow

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:48:30 AM »
Don't buy new. I have an 18.5" and 14.5 with the round knobs. Both are fine. Just tough to know where the latch is.
Take a hacksaw and cut a shallow groove in the knob, in line with the latch. Put a little bit of white paint in the groove for visibility.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 04:56:25 AM »
Take a hacksaw and cut a shallow groove in the knob, in line with the latch. Put a little bit of white paint in the groove for visibility.

Awesome Idea!!!   I am always guessing / Hoping the latch is there.  A simple but valid "Fix"....   I know what I will do when I have a few free minutes this weekend!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 05:05:43 AM »
All of the WSM door latches are a POS. The brass ferrule inside the handle itself fails (usually from over tightening) Call Weber and get a replacement and it will eventually fail as well.
A lot of people are buying and installing the Southco compression latches from Cajun Bandit or online sources. Personally the whole door and opening on the bullet is shit!

Here is a DIY thats been floating around for a few years that looks like the original and fairly cheap and simple to do.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?41871-22-5-Door-Handle-Fix&p=727057#post727057

Thank You! This is exactly what I'm going to do.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:57:27 AM »
I ruined my latch, same problem, stripped out the inside so it always came loose. JB Weld inside the hole, loctite on the treads, been working great since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 02:54:53 AM »
If you've registered your grill, I'd just call Weber.  Maybe your shitty handle is just a bit more shitty than others.

shock_me

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 06:31:41 AM »
I ruined my latch, same problem, stripped out the inside so it always came loose. JB Weld inside the hole, loctite on the treads, been working great since.

Mine failed on my 22" immediately and I fixed it this way as well. That was 3 years ago. JB Weld FTW!

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 07:13:49 AM »
I ordered a compression latch off Amazon. In the meantime, my door is still duct taped on. I think I'll see if Weber will send me another latch and door assembly anyway just to have a spare around in case the latch ever fails for some reason.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 09:38:15 AM »
You might try https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DHHDEY although I'm not thrilled to put ZINC plated stuff in my cooker  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!