Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First go at ribs on my Performer  (Read 1529 times)

G19

• WKC Brave
First go at ribs on my Performer
« on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Okay first off I normally smoke on my WSM but this year I replaced my old gas grill and returned to charcoal grilling with a Performer.  I wanted the Performer  for the table which doubles for my WSM cooking.  I also never really do Loinbacks/Babybacks preferring St Louis ribs but our local Krogers had these Loinbacks for $1.77/lb so could not pass that up.  I fired up my grill with a Slow N Sear set up just like they said and with the water I was shocked how it locked at 230º. 

On the grill for a 3-1-1 cook

I like to pay close attention to my cooking sessions

Opened up after the foil

Just about finished

Cut and ready for plating

All and all I was very pleased.  I left them on for another 45min because in my experience with St Louis cut these did not pass the bend test nor did a tooth pick go through easy.  I really am not sure if thats a Babyback thing or what.  Not as moist as my normal St Louis smoke but lot's of meat on those little bones and the flavor was great.  The Performer held it's own with my WSM.  My Slow N Sear was totally full and I think it could have

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: First go at ribs on my Performer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
Great lookin ribs, G19.And way to keep an eye on the grill....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:45:46 AM by Maxmbob »
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:35:55 AM »
I have yet to do ribs on a kettle, that is my next project. These looks great and the fact that you did the right thing and waited them out is excellent too. The meat is done when the meat is done. I am not a rib wrapper so I don't have any advice on them not passing the bend test after the wrap. I find it odd though.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:36:02 AM »
Ribs look great.  Looks like you a relaxing day grilling.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)